Harman Distribution Blower life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jp99

Burning Hunk
Jan 7, 2015
Ohio
Well the first "major" repair of my PC45 was required - had bearings starting to squeal on the distribution blower. Replaced it tonight. Fairly easy job, about an hour.

I installed my PC45 in April 2008, so I almost got 9 years out of this blower. Not bad for the motor. I'm still on the original combustion blower, but maybe I'll replace it after this heating season when I don't need the stove.

The amusing part is the replacement cost. Dealer cost for blower assembly was around $120. I looked up the motor and found them for no less than $90. But the entire blower assembly with motor is only $60 on Amazon ;?;?<>

It's not even worthwhile to buy a motor and repair the old blower assembly. I hate to throw stuff away but it sure isn't cost effective to repair the old one.

The only difference between old and new is the motor's end plate. The new one has many openings for cooling the coils. The original one was solid with no holes.

Gotta love stoves that have good reliability!

Reactions: Harmanizer and bags
Well the first "major" repair of my PC45 was required - had bearings starting to squeal on the distribution blower. Replaced it tonight. Fairly easy job, about an hour.

I installed my PC45 in April 2008, so I almost got 9 years out of this blower. Not bad for the motor. I'm still on the original combustion blower, but maybe I'll replace it after this heating season when I don't need the stove.

The amusing part is the replacement cost. Dealer cost for blower assembly was around $120. I looked up the motor and found them for no less than $90. But the entire blower assembly with motor is only $60 on Amazon ;?;?<>

It's not even worthwhile to buy a motor and repair the old blower assembly. I hate to throw stuff away but it sure isn't cost effective to repair the old one.

The only difference between old and new is the motor's end plate. The new one has many openings for cooling the coils. The original one was solid with no holes.

Gotta love stoves that have good reliability!

Yep. Harmans run like Cadillacs & they're built like tanks!

Reactions: Harmanizer
Amazon also has decent price on the combustion motor($100 delivered) but have not priced the fan as most end up destroying it trying to get the motor out. I put items in my wish list and check the prices frequently to see if there is a return for cheaper.
I lucked out getting a new feed motor for the Bixby from Surplus Center via ebay for around $40 after delivery. Stove was due as it was manufactured in 06
Harman P series are pretty easy to clean AND repair

I saw fan blades on Amazon for around $15-20, so they aren't too bad. I know getting them off is what everyone says is a pain. I may invest in a small gear puller when I try mine. Whatever I put together - new or old fan blade - I'll likely use high temperature antisieze on it to make the next repair easier.

I saw fan blades on Amazon for around $15-20, so they aren't too bad. I know getting them off is what everyone says is a pain. I may invest in a small gear puller when I try mine. Whatever I put together - new or old fan blade - I'll likely use high temperature antisieze on it to make the next repair easier.
Someone was able to borrow one from Autozone or some other auto parts store to remove the fan hub after the fan had broke so no need to buy one.

Reactions: jp99
I have had some squealing from the distribution fan motor and I oiled it with some Wd-40 and it has gone away for a while. Anyone else tried that fix? How long might that last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WD-40 has little lubricant in it. Great cleaner.
Probably just moved some of the grease around and soon will be back and reminding you. Some of the distribution motors have oil ports and a couple drops of a good motor oil like Mobil 1 synthetic will do the job proper.
I admit I haven't tended mine for some time as its in a remote filter box and only sees action when I use the test function.

I echo Bioburner's comments - if you remember the "WD" stands for Water Displacement you'll know what to use it for. And it's not lubricating bearings.

WD-40 has little lubricant in it. Great cleaner.
Probably just moved some of the grease around and soon will be back and reminding you. Some of the distribution motors have oil ports and a couple drops of a good motor oil like Mobil 1 synthetic will do the job proper.
I admit I haven't tended mine for some time as its in a remote filter box and only sees action when I use the test function.

I would be interested to hear more about your remote filter box. I have been thinking about how to get heat in other rooms and to get cold air back to the stove. I have one distribution fan installed in the house with a 12x12 filter on the intake. It's great to be able to filter the air. The dirt it collects is reason enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple 16x24x12 wood box that filters are on the open sides with the fan installed inside and a 3 inch aluminum flex for driers run from a drill hole in the box to the stove and an extension of the cord from the stove to the box.

I echo Bioburner's comments - if you remember the "WD" stands for Water Displacement you'll know what to use it for. And it's not lubricating bearings.

Anyone remember 3 in1 oil?

Yes and 3 in 1 for electric motors.
Motor oils have come oh so far with the needs of the higher reving and heat of the small engines with turbos. Great forum on motor oils