Harman Exception TL200 Restoration and Parts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jdansonz12

Jan 18, 2022
Michigan
Hi,
This is my first time to the forum and also my first time owning a wood stove. I recently purchased a used Harman Exception TL200. It is quite old (tested in 95) but is still in pretty decent shape. My plan is to replace the parts it needs and to fix it up and install it in the house my wife and I are currently renovating. I am quite handy and do a lot of DIY projects so I think I should be capable of handling it, but wanted some advice as I have never done this before. The parts that need to be replaced are new firebricks, a new seal on the top door, and then a new ceramic fiber afterburner. For the seal on the top door, is it the same as the 3/8" seal used on the front door? The manual mostly just talks about replacing the front door seal. The afterburner I have a few questions about. I have found the afterburner online (its about 250-300). Is there a way to get this cheaper? I have a somewhat local wood stove store near me, would they be a better source for purchasing through than online? Additionally, the interior has a bit of surface rust on some parts, and to replace the afterburner, I have to undo several bolts for parts 7, 20, 21, and 22 (in the parts picture attached) to access the after burner and am worried I will have to drill them out. However, I can't find them as a part online. How do I find information about these bolts to order new ones? Lastly, I would appreciate any other advice for restoring this wood stove or even information about the stove in general that could be helpful. Since I am pulling all these metal parts out to replace the afterburner, should I sand the rust off and condition or paint them?
Thanks,
Josh

Harman Exception Exploded Iso.PNG received_324587612889739_20220115_103650.jpeg

Attachments

• TL200.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 322