Harman full clean today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Finally got around to putting the P61A to sleep...
beside the full vacuum, brushing, fines box, ignitor compartment chores etc I pulled the ESP probe and put some Goof off on a cotton ball.
wiped the probe and now back to Silver color.
Sprayed the burn pot and all the inside metal with Cooking spray[non-flavored]..
I was surprised when I cleaned the outside Exhaust pipe...
Very little ash redidue compared to 1st year or 2 when we Burned cheaper grade HD pellets.
Back then I had a good sized pyramid of brown ash on the ground when I was done brushing from the top.
Put a box of damprid in the ash pan and plugged up the OAK from outside..
good to go till next season.
Better grade of pellets made the cleaning time lot shorter this year.

Reactions: TJS
Finally got around to putting the P61A to sleep...
beside the full vacuum, brushing, fines box, ignitor compartment chores etc I pulled the ESP probe and put some Goof off on a cotton ball.
wiped the probe and now back to Silver color.
Sprayed the burn pot and all the inside metal with Cooking spray[non-flavored]..
I was surprised when I cleaned the outside Exhaust pipe...
Very little ash redidue compared to 1st year or 2 when we Burned cheaper grade HD pellets.
Back then I had a good sized pyramid of brown ash on the ground when I was done brushing from the top.
Put a box of damprid in the ash pan and plugged up the OAK from outside..
good to go till next season.
Better grade of pellets made the cleaning time lot shorter this year.
I guess I did ok, I did everything but the cooking spray. My installer used a non-arisol wd40 on the inside. I went to pick some up at hd and they only had it by the gallon. I didn't want another jug on my shelf so I passed. I'll use the cooking spray, thanks for the tip! I was happy with what came out of my exhaust pipe compared to previous years. Definitely a lot easier to clean then my old Breckwell.

I also pull the squirrel cage fan in the back and scrape down the individual fan blades. In 8 years I have never cleaned the ESP probe.

I also pull the squirrel cage fan in the back and scrape down the individual fan blades. In 8 years I have never cleaned the ESP probe.
makes us even.
I have never pulled the sq cage... just brush and vacuum it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pete Zahria
I don't obsess over the stove. Shut it off in April, when it cooled I cracked the door open slightly so any moisture can evaporate. I'll clean it in Sept like I did last year and for 35+ years of burning coal. Coal ash is highly acidic, never had any rust. The only rust I ever had was in this P61 when I closed it up tight for the summer, won't do that again.

I don't obsess over the stove. Shut it off in April, when it cooled I cracked the door open slightly so any moisture can evaporate. I'll clean it in Sept like I did last year and for 35+ years of burning coal. Coal ash is highly acidic, never had any rust. The only rust I ever had was in this P61 when I closed it up tight for the summer, won't do that again.
get's cleaned either way Spring or Fall......

get's cleaned either way Spring or Fall but at least it get's cleaned..

Status
Not open for further replies.