Harman P43 auger won't turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gutlo

Burning Hunk
Feb 22, 2009
eastern connecticut
Got a problem that has me scratching my head.

The patient is a 7 year old P43 that displays the following symptoms:

1. When I turn it on, it throws a 2-blink error code.
2. In the test mode, everything works except the auger.
3. It lights, but soon goes out because pellets wont't drop.
4. Checked outside vent-it was clear.

Just cleaned it, including the fines box and esp probe. Put a new aftermarket esp probe in: still 2 blinks, auger doesn't turn on.

At the end of last season, it worked fine, in spite of having a heavily dirty esp probe.

Emptied out all the pellets from the hopper to check for a jammed auger and the door was closed, so I couldn't see anything.

Help!

Just searched the archives and found someone with the same problem It was a jammed auger from long pellets,

Is there a way to open up the slide plate plate so I can see if there's a jam, or do I have to remove the auger?

• Wow
Reactions: jzm2cc
I'd bet money you knocked the wires or hose off the vacuum switch. Or you did not get the fines cover back on properly.
I'm on board with that - if it worked fine at the end of the season, it's most likely something you did (or didn't do). go back thru like you are doing a spring clean/packup for the summer - recreate even the smallest detail. Plus really look at the wires back there, they may look attached but make sure.

Here's what it was. The auger was jammed because I had left the hopper full of pellets, which I will not do this coming spring. I had also not put the fines box cover back properly.

The esp probe had been filthy and I cleaned it before unclogging the auger and re-positioning the fines box cover, so I don't know if that could have kept it from running.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. This is a great forum.

Here's what it was. The auger was jammed because I had left the hopper full of pellets, which I will not do this coming spring. I had also not put the fines box cover back properly.

The esp probe had been filthy and I cleaned it before unclogging the auger and re-positioning the fines box cover, so I don't know if that could have kept it from running.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. This is a great forum.
The fines cover not being sealed does not allow vacuum to build, therefore the vac switch does not close, therefore the auger does not get power to run. Just because you cannot turn the auger by hand does not mean anything is wrong, they are designed to chew up and spit out pellets. The motor is stronger than you.