Harman Furnace Heat help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobrakai

Jan 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
I am babysitting my parents house for the first time since they installed a pellet furnace to the existing furnace. I have had no problems until this evening/morning. It has been very cold here in Sconny and the furnace has had trouble keeping up. It was suggested that I turn the indicator to Service and run the temp from the furnace, I have the feed adjuster set to 5 and the temp set to 6. There seems to be a hell of a burn going on but nothing is being transferred to the house and the blower is on. I have read the manual a dozen times and it is really vague when it comes to troubleshooting. Any suggestions ? Is this a rookie mistake? Thanks

How long have you been babysitting it? Have you cleaned it?/ Sounds like the heat exchanger may be dirty. Do you have the option of going back to the other furnace? May be your best bet. Can you contact them for advide??? Just off the top of my head.

didm you check the furnace filter. Could be clooged up and restricting the air

give the cleaning chains a few pulls....its an l-shaped bar sticking out of the unit in the front....might help!

Are you getting good air flow out of your heat registers and is the air flow hot?

babysat it for three days and this just started happening--

rattled the chains, can't say if it did anything or not because due to the temp I had to back to the gas which after unclogging the vacuum tubes did work thanks God--

Pops and I cleaned it last week-

Furnace filter was changed when the cleaning was done--

I have a call into the dealer, they are closed Monday but I can wait now that I have a backup--

Think it may be part of the blower since all the registers did was give an ambient heat, no real flow of air. Thanks for the feedback, I will let you know what the outcome is. This has been much more helpful than the manual has been,

Cobrakai

Is the existing furnace air ducts in parallel or series with the pellet furnace?

If the furnaces are in parallel are there isolation dampers in the air ducts to isolate the furnaces from each other? Air flow should only be from the running furnace to the heat registers and back thru the running furnace cold air return air ducts. With a parallel setup if the isolation dampers are not right possibly part of the running furnace duct hot air flow could be bypassing the house thru the non-running furnace thru it's duct work.

I have an oil furnace in parallel with my pellet furnace. I set them up electrically so only one furnace could receive electrical power at a time through a transfer switch. (used a 3 way light switch) I then installed a simple manual isolation damper that slides in and out of the hot air duct of each furnace. I have pictures so if you have a parallel setup let me know and I'll post them. Furnaces in series are a different animal. Some folks like a more automatic setup but I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.