Harman in line thermostat install burning out control board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cjweaver13

Sep 21, 2022
PA
I am trying to set up a digital thermostat with my Harman accentra fs. I needed a new room sensor and told them what is doing. One of the guys said because I'm adding more resistance to the circuit that I could eventually burn out the control board, and also the fact that the digital thermostat and constantly opening and closing the circuit.

Any truth to this? First I've head of it in the research I did but he's been working on stoves for 25 years so not sure if it's just a line to cover their own arse or some truth to it.

Any problem with the stove being in the 4 blink error mode half the time while waiting for digital thermostat then?

Been running mine for 6 years on an external thermostat. Last 2 on an Ecobee Plus. No problems.
Ron

Any problem with the stove being in the 4 blink error mode half the time while waiting for digital thermostat then?

I run both my stoves on exterior thermostats so they are always in 4-blink mode when they aren't firing. Rright now the P61a is running about 1x per day, if that, so that's ~23 hours a day it is blinking. The P43 goes between not running at all to running 5-6 times per day (during the late summer / fall weather). I haven't had any problems at all.

I've had mine running with a millivolt programmable stat for nearly a decade and no issues. I recently connected a Nest using a 24vac relay and it's just fine. Now I can actually get data on how often it duty cycles and control it from anywhere. I want to connect a smart switch access to the igniter next and have full control to turn it on and off completely.