Harman insert no power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlongo1115

Dec 15, 2011
Wilton,CT
So I took my Harman accentra insert out and gave it a full cleaning tonight. When I put it back in I plugged it in but then forgot to clamp down the latches that lock it in. I pulled it out about an inch but forgot to unplug it. When I went to put it back in I pinched the brown wire and it sparked. I immediately pulled the plug and pulled it out and looked at the damage. The brown wire was pinched and exposed. It grounded out on the frame so I fixed it. I put everything back together and checked the fuse which appears to be fine. I plugged it back in and I have no power at all. I checked the outlet to see if it popped the breaker and it is fine. I rechecked the main 6amp glass fuse and it is fine. The board does not appear to be damaged. Is there another fuse that I am missing????

Visually checking fuses doesn't always work. Do you have a meter that measures resistance (Ohms).

I do but it's at my shop not my house. I was thinking the same thing so I am going to grab a new fuse in the morning and start there. Are there any other safety fuses that may have popped? The wire that got cut and grounded was one of the wires that goes to the plug.

Only the one fuse on Accentra boards. Check it with the Ohmeter like Smokey suggested but it is possible to smoke a resistor or capacitor without any visible damage on the outside of it.

The wire might also be damaged elsewhere, internally, from the short circuit current. Not too likely, but if all else fails...

Status
Not open for further replies.