HARMAN NOT SENSING TEMPERATURE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpoland33

Jul 22, 2017
maryland
I have a Harman ACC52i pellet stove with dial controls on the side for control the temp. The dial is no longer working. It moves and all but does not turn on or off the stove. The manual 'on' dial works fine so I'm assuming its a thermostat or sensor. CAn't find a single thing online about it...any ideas??? I like to do things on my own when I can

Unplug it….Contact cleaner, pull the knob off, spray it and turn it back and forth, also has the ESP been cleaned recently

Take the knob off and see if u can turn the knob shaft with needle nose plyers or similar. If it works then knob inards are rounded out.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Take the knob off and see if u can turn the knob shaft with needle nose plyers or similar. If it works then knob inards are rounded out.
So the knob does turn I believe. off is to the left. If I turn up, it controls it by temperature (which is what isn't activating). If I turn it down, its the manual on which works fine

Unplug it….Contact cleaner, pull the knob off, spray it and turn it back and forth, also has the ESP been cleaned recently
Where is the ESP typically located? I saw a video that showed one ( i think) on the back inside maybe the fan cylinder?...but to answer your question the companies we deal with say they clean the stove (done in August this year) but I don't recall them doing anything on the back side of it, i.e. clean the ESP

It’s inside the stub(tail pipe) at the back of the stove where the exhaust pipe attaches, it can also be accessed by removing the exhaust fan (which can be difficult and ruin the fan if it doesn’t come off easily).

F073B550-F840-478D-9563-AB5297CA2E6F.jpeg

Million dollar question. I have a roller but its one my in laws gave me- of course it doesnt fit. Any ideas on how to not scratch my hearth area?

Can you put some thin plywood or Masonite down n front of it?

THanks for the help. so I was able to pull it out some but this thing is not easily rollable. I have to yank left to right just for a centimeter. I did pull it out some and saw this....any way to see what kind of wire this is? Just hanging out in there. I'm thinking I'll call someone in at this point. Im hoping/thinking it just needs the ESP cleaned. Now that I know where it is, I guarantee none of the cleaners have touched this in years past.
20211230_171810.jpg

That’s the room temperature sensor…not sure it’s in the beat spot….was it underneath?

The room temp sensor wire as @Washed-Up said. I don't think it should be back there, but I don't have an insert so not the best person to talk about placement.

extend that wire out onto your hearth. It is about 4 ft long. That is what is sensing the room temp. If it is back in the cool fire place the stove will run forever.

I would just replace the ESP as long it is out, clean the old one as a backup..or clean it and keep a replacement on hand....

The room sensing probe hooks up on the left side of stove and typically the wire comes out from behind the left side surround. route it back over to the left side and get the pinched end away from the stove so it can sense the room temp and adjust accordingly.