Harman or Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chain

Feeling the Heat
I currently have a Lopi Foxfire pellet stove in my 1700 sq. ft. ranch style home. It's about 12 years old, and given the tax credit offered as part of the stimilus bill, I'm considering purchasing a new replacement pellet stove. For several years now I've purchased my pellets from my local masonry supply store who also is a Harman and, until recently, a Quadrafire dealer.

I'm posting in an effort to obtain thoughts, opinions, observations, etc. about these two manufactures. I've been more than happy with my Lopi and am also considering purchasing another. However, I've recently narrowed my search to the Harman P61A, P68, and XXV. I've also been curious about the larger Quadrafire's. Any help in my search would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly concerned with durability, ease of cleaning, and follow-up service. Thanks again.

That's good news.....So what are your thoughts about either brand? My local dealer claims the Harman is the way to go. Not surprising given he now sells Harman exclusively. I checked out the P61A, P68 and XXV over the weekend. They didn't seem as well built as my Lopi. Not as "heavy duty" if that's the right word. I realize the XXV is cast iron and not steel so that makes sense, but the 61A and 68 seemed "flimsier." What's your take? Thanks for the insight.

Well, i have never sold harmon, so im no good for info there. I have sold quad pellet stoves for along time, and i know the line pretty well. But i cant really compare the two... The spring auger system in the quads is unique, and is hard to jam up. Most pellet stoves have a central shaft auger. The AE series can burn most fuels including grain, the no AE stoves can burn corn or pellets. (best to mix corn and pellets). The AE series is all DC brushless motors, and very quite, the other quads use typical AC motors. The old Quads are proven and very reliable. the AE series is relativly new, but very innovative. All new pellet technology is plagued with problems the first few years. So i would buy a stove that has been out for more then two years. I think the AE is on its third year....

The closest Quad dealer is advertising a instant $600 dollar rebate from Quadrafire on the larger models.....Not bad. Between that and the stimulus credit, it's a good time to buy. I've read that Harmany's typically need to be cleaned much less frequently. Can anyone support that statement? Great info. by the way. Thanks.

My vote is Harman, but then I have nothing to compare to. The statement about cleaning less often probably comes from the bottom auger feed system which pushes the ash out into the pan. How often you clean though, may depend on the pellets you burn.

Chain said:
The closest Quad dealer is advertising a instant $600 dollar rebate from Quadrafire on the larger models.....Not bad. Between that and the stimulus credit, it's a good time to buy. I've read that Harmany's typically need to be cleaned much less frequently. Can anyone support that statement? Great info. by the way. Thanks.

Cannot tell you much about a Quad as I do not own one myself, but on my XXV I prefer to give the burnpot a quick
scrape daily and vac out the stove once a week to keep it running at maximum performance.
I also check the blowers and vents after each ton to determine if they need cleaning or not.
If they do not, they get cleaned at the end of each season.
Everyone has their own cleaning routine and some may wait longer to clean.

The manual states you can go through a ton of pellets before it needs to be cleaned, but IMO waiting
that long is just asking for trouble.

Note: Harman is also offering rebates on some of their stoves as well.

Good luck in your hunt!

For looks I like the Harman XXV, for heat output I like the P61A or P68. My parents have the PC45 that looks the same to the P61A and P68. They can burn corn in their stove. Currently they burn pellets, but are thinking of switching back to corn if the pellet prices remain high. All they need to do is replace the auger back to burn corn. One advantage of that stove if you have access to corn.

I own an Enviro Omega so I don't have first hand knowledge but I do know several people I work with who own Harmans.

The Harmans are good becuase they are bottom fed. The auger "pushes" ( they have a patent on this method ) the pellets up into the burnpot. This means you will have very few, if any at all, clinker problems. Any clinkers forming will just be pushed out into the ash pan.

These guys have owned them for yewars with no troubles.

The new Quad Mount Vernon AE is a stove I almost bought. I like the multi-fuel aspect ( same as my Omega ) and it is also self-cleaning.

The MV AE is top fed, but the stove has a burnpot agitator that will chop up and dump any clinkers. The only negative part of the way they do it is the stove automatically shutsdown, cleans out the burnpot, then restarts.

I'd buy a Harman or the MV AE quad.

JMO.

FG.

Chain said:
I currently have a Lopi Foxfire pellet stove in my 1700 sq. ft. ranch style home. It's about 12 years old, and given the tax credit offered as part of the stimilus bill, I'm considering purchasing a new replacement pellet stove. For several years now I've purchased my pellets from my local masonry supply store who also is a Harman and, until recently, a Quadrafire dealer.

I'm posting in an effort to obtain thoughts, opinions, observations, etc. about these two manufactures. I've been more than happy with my Lopi and am also considering purchasing another. However, I've recently narrowed my search to the Harman P61A, P68, and XXV. I've also been curious about the larger Quadrafire's. Any help in my search would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly concerned with durability, ease of cleaning, and follow-up service. Thanks again.

Chain said:

I have a Harmon Accentra insert and a freestanding Quad Mt. Vernon in my house. They are both great stoves and have provided reliable heat without any problems. Each takes a different design approach but both are well built and well engineered. The choice between them probably comes down to personal preferences,price, and dealer reputation. Let me know if i can answer any specific questions.

I have the Quad Castile insert, but I should have bought the Harmon. In my opinion Quad has a poor design on several points.
One is the pull rods that you pull out to brush off part of the heat exchanger tubes, during startup at times if its real smokey you get smoke smell coming out around the holes that the pull rods go into because its a very sloppy fit, and you can wiggle those pull rods around. Quad could have insured that these rods seal when they are in the closed position, but here again, its a cheap and dirty way to brush off the tubes. And it doesnt even clean all the tubes its only wiping the tops of 4 tubes out of 10..

Another very poor design feature is the cast iron trim door or fake front has rectangular openings that do not line up with the openings of the heat exchanger tubes. What happens is the hot air blowing out of the tubes does not go completely through the openings in the cast iron fake door. The hot air partially gets caught on the cast iron, and its deflected up and backwards into the hopper. When I first got my Quad and had it on a medium setting, the hopper lid got so hot I had to use a pot holder to grab onto it to open the hopper. I also noticed inside the hopper was so hot, that it caused me great concern that maybe the pellets were going to reach the ignition point but the dealer tells me that wouldnt happen. So what I do is I burn the insert with this fake cast iron trim door open, this lets ALL the hot air blow into the room and none of it is being restricted or blown backwards up into the hopper. Poor choice for Quadrafire, they needed to address this design flaw, and set it up so the blower tubes extend out into that cast iron opening thus eliminating and back pressure.

Another down side is the rod you pull to empty the ash in the burn pot, when I go to pull this rod I almost have to yank the insert out of the mounting position, and I end up cussing Quadrafires poor design. Why should I have to modify the pull rod cleaning system after paying almost $4000 for this gem ? Quadrafire has some really poor design issues and I really regret that I didnt buy the Harmon. Harmons have been proven runners, they have been the standard in stoves for many years. This pull rod setup is so bad that I think at times if I go to push the rod back in its' going to bend and I'll have to have a new one put in.

Another poor design is to save on cost of manufacture Quad put out what I call a paper thin steel firebox, its not half the thickness of a Harmon. Harmon, and a few others are built like a tank. Quadrafire put the cast iron on the outside as a decoration, not on the inside where it counts most. They do have cast iron firebrick plates, 2 of them but these are small items, and here again I think its decoration, they could have used a 1/8 inch thick steel plate for firebrick instead. If you tap on the steel firebox inside the Quad unit you think youre tapping a tin can, and Im sure they only made it as thick as they thought was safely possible. When it begins to rust, it wont take much for it to rust through the box, and that will be a costly repair if it ever happened.

These are just a few of my beefs about this Quad insert I have, it also vibrates, and sounds like its growling at times, and when it does I walk over to it, open the door, and take the scraping tool and lift the top baffle up about 1/2 inch and let it drop back in place, and that stops the growling sound for a few hours until it vibrates back to its uneven position again. I have already pointed all this out the Quad dealer I bought it from and he still says Quad is built to last and they work well and are proven performers, I told him when I pull that stupid pull rod completely out of the unit he will be making a warranty trip to fix it . You can tell that I really love my Quad insert.

Like I said I would buy the Harmon, I only wish I had bought it instead of this Quad. Now the Quad Mt Vernon AE would also have been a better choice than this Castile I have because the Mt Vernon AE has the 12 volt system and you can use any ordinary car batter or marine battery to run it during a power outage, without buying any inverter or generator. The dealer didnt have a Mt Vernon AE handy in the showroom, and didnt mention much about it other than it was a lot more expensive, and it was a much bigger insert with a larger BTU output, and given the size of my house, ( 1600 sq ft) that the Castile insert was more than enough , so I figured I would save some money and didnt pursue the Mt Vernon at that time.

Just my 2 cents on the Quad Castile that I have owned since Sept of 2008. I realized after a week of using it that I had made a bad choice, as I was considering the Harmon, and the dealer was pushing the Quad Castile, and I think he just wanted to unload the units he had in stock. My unit is a 2007 model, and I was given a couple of hundred off on it.

Harmon in my opinion is a proven performer and built to last a long long time. Looks like I wrote a book here, sorry for all the text, but these are points of concern for me and I sincerely hope Quadrafire addresses these issues and puts out a better built unit someday.

Good luck in your decision,

Chain said:

I think this is actually on the smaller models, like the Santa Fe and the Castile. My friend is also looking at both stoves but comparing the lower Quad model (Santa Fe) versus the lower Harman model (P38).

Both running the rebate, making the stove for about $1599

Prices at my local dealer (with rebates):

QuadraFire

Castile: 2800 - 400 = 2400
Santa Fe: 2000 - 400 = 1600

Harman

Accentra: 3100 - 600 = 2500
P43: 2500 - 400 = 2100
P38: 2000 - 200 = 1800

the P38 has ALSO the $400 off promotion

Have you searched for reviews in places like Consumer Reports? I did a quick Google search on the Harman XXV and saw this link. (Note that it is not the real Consumer Reports but maybe a quick internet search would help you.)

Of course, many people in this forum have lots of experience that could be more useful than a review. Good luck.

http://www.consumersearch.com/pellet-and-wood-stoves/harman-xxv

You will find over time that Consumers Report is not a very accurate, reliable source of information. Forums such as this are much better.

tjnamtiw said:
You will find over time that Consumers Report is not a very accurate, reliable source of information. Forums such as this are much better.

I don't disagree, especially since I am still new to pellet stuff. I suggested Consumer Reports as one source only. A lot of the comments in the thread were from folks who knew one or the other stove but not both. Kinda like asking if a Ford and GM vehicle or a Honda and Toyota is better. When I look for a new vehicle, for example, I try to look up frequency of repair, owner satisfaction, resale value and so forth. Later I ask people I know and then do a test drive.

A different question is whether there is much comparison information out there for stoves, for pellets brands and prices, etc. Pellet stoves and fuel have been around for a while and should have a track record, you'd think. Maybe it's around and I just haven't seen it yet. Seems strange, though.

The only real negative I've seen lately on the Harman's is that customer service and spare parts availability is really bad since they were bought out. There's a lot of posts about it.
Too bad. It looks like a great brand.

tjnamtiw said:
The only real negative I've seen lately on the Harman's is that customer service and spare parts availability is really bad since they were bought out. There's a lot of posts about it.
Too bad. It looks like a great brand.

My Dealer I bought my XXV from no longer sells Harman and now I have been trying to get my ignitor replaced since Mid December. So I would say stay away from Harman unless you know the dealer will be in business for awhile and has good support.

Status
Not open for further replies.