Harman owners: Approximate cost for installation on your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cincinnati Kid

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2009
Cincinnati
My brother is interested in a new Harman P42i TC insert. He lives in a small 1800 sq ft ranch with the installation going in the first floor fireplace.

The dealer quoted him $4000 for installation. This seems excessively high to me.

With the cost of the stove at $4800, he’s looking at $8800 + tax. Throw in the rack system he’s up to $9500 installed! He realizes there is up to a 30% tax credit.

Does the installation cost seem high or is this the going rate these days? All three Harman dealers in the area are under the same ownership so going to another local dealer is not really an option.

Thanks!

I don't own a Harman but that price is out of this world . For many years I installed
for an Enviro dealer. In 2019 a fe 3 cost just over 2500 and piping and installation
was 1200 so even with inflation 9000+ is hyway robbery in my eyes

Reactions: Cincinnati Kid
That sounds ridiculous. But then again, I haven't had a stove installed since 2014. At that time the pipe cost around $500 to go 7-8' and straight out of the basement (no further rise outside). Total labor was $375 (including setting up stove/exhaust, testing it, showing me how to run it etc).

I have no idea how much work or parts they have to put into the chimney portion, or how long the run is. Also, I heard exhaust pipe costs went thru the roof over the last couple of years.

I would see if you can get a quote from someone to do the install separate and that will give you a clue as to the going rate in your area.

He lives in a small 1800 sq ft ranch with the installation going in the first floor fireplace.
Are they having to remove an existing fireplace? If so, they may have to make the opening larger or smaller depending upon the existing ones size, repair the front of the fireplace, if there is a mantel, possibly move it for clearances, extend hearth or add floor protection, etc.

Did they physically come out to the house to give him the price, or just a ballpark price given at the store?

Are they having to remove an existing fireplace? If so, they may have to make the opening larger or smaller depending upon the existing ones size, repair the front of the fireplace, if there is a mantel, possibly move it for clearances, extend hearth or add floor protection, etc.

Did they physically come out to the house to give him the price, or just a ballpark price given at the store?
Should be a straight forward installation. No removal of the fireplace. Price quote was given at the store.

Wow that seems really high to me! I never had an insert installed but even if it is a high flu I did a quick check and the flexible liner shouldn't be over 1k. So they will have to run a flexible liner up the flu with cap etc. I would think 1/2 that would be a fair price. You might be able to get a quote from a local chimney sweep for comparison. They will typically run the flu liners for wood and pellet stoves, that would be the biggest cost.

Reactions: Cincinnati Kid