Harman P-68 Refurbishment With a Couple Questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MaineiacMoose

Oct 23, 2014
Maine
Hey all long time no see. I had a P-43 at our last home and have missed it since we moved. I received this 68 from a family member who did not want to deal with it anymore. It has been neglected a bit and I am working on fixing it up before putting it in our new home. I also have to build a corner hearth but that will have to wait a bit before getting started.

So far my casualty count is a combustion blower and fan that was stuck. I cleaned the distribution fan well and it sounds great and has been replaced before. The pot is rough and I need suggestions on stuff to break up the carbon in there as its solid. I have an igniter on the way as well as an esp probe since I have it apart. the seals all look really good and there were no complaints of smoke smells from the prior owner so I think I will let them ride for now.

Anything else I should be looking at while I am here? Has anyone ever painted theirs a different color than black?

MaineiacMoose

PXL_20240116_181520580.jpg
PXL_20240116_181536095.jpg
PXL_20240116_181511273.jpg
PXL_20240116_184300025.jpg
PXL_20240116_193342998.jpg
PXL_20240116_201332864.jpg
PXL_20240116_201523113.jpg
PXL_20240116_193347106.jpg

A ball peen hammer & an old chisel will break up that carbon. I’ve painted a number of harman Pseries stoves with Stove Bright Hi Heat paint. Metallic Black is one of the better colors, because any future touch-ups will blend with the original coat, & won’t require the entire unit to be painted.

Reactions: Washed-Up
What DAKSY said…also when I’ve refurbished and had trouble carbon build up I’ve used a die grinder with a good metal brush on the burnpot. I’ve never painted any of them other than black for the same reasons but if you are going to just make sure you’re right down to bare metal and follow the instructions…stove bright has a pretty good selection of colors. I have used high temp header paint on the interior but it does eventually flake off and was more for appearance than anything…lasted a season or less.

Reactions: DAKSY
Rutland Creosote spray works really well. Spray area, let it sit a few minutes and start chipping away at it. I buy it on Amazon.

Sam

Reactions: Washed-Up