Harman P35i blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

murf214

Jan 18, 2017
New Hampshire
Hello. Our stove is just over three years old. A little over a month ago the stove wouldn't turn back on after it had been sitting for the day. There was an audible hum that sounded like a stuck motor. It turned out to be the blower motor. The fan spun freely but when under power the motor wouldn't spin. I removed the motor and blew it out. After that it started right up. This happened again a week later when it was shut down for most of the day. This time I gave the fan a little spin while still attached to the stove and powered it up. The motor turned on. This happens every time the stove is off for a prolonged time. Today it happened again but giving the fan a "jump start" didn't work. I removed the motor and blew it out again and after many attempts I finally got it running. Is it time for a new motor? Is there something else that could be causing this? I haven't checked with a meter but I feel like the motor is getting power. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

In some motors, bearings tighten up when it's off and cooled down (and in some motors, it's the opposite). When it's off and cooled, does the motor spin freely? (i.e., no power applied)