Harman P38+ acrid odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gutlo

Burning Hunk
Feb 22, 2009
eastern connecticut
Got a Harman P38+ around 7 years old. Emits an acrid odor from the region of the door. Put a new 3/8" gasket on, still emits odor, maybe a little less. Put my nose right on the holes where the hot air comes out, don't smell it. Lift my head slightly higher, the odor appears.

Could it be smoke getting through the new gasket? Should I try a 1/2" gasket?

BTW, the smoke isn't visible.

I appreciate all ideas.

Check your vent pipe at startup to see if there is any visible smoke.I had a similar problem with my P68 until I found the leak.It doesn't take much to give you that smell.

Got a Harman P38+ around 7 years old. Emits an acrid odor from the region of the door. Put a new 3/8" gasket on, still emits odor, maybe a little less. Put my nose right on the holes where the hot air comes out, don't smell it. Lift my head slightly higher, the odor appears.

Could it be smoke getting through the new gasket? Should I try a 1/2" gasket?

BTW, the smoke isn't visible.

I appreciate all ideas.

Harmanizer,

Is there a reason for checking the vent pipe at startup? How do I check, especially if it isn't visible.

Thanks for the help.

If there is a leak you will see a small amount of smoke at startup.It helps if the room is dark and you use a flashlight.Are all the pipe connections sealed with silicone?The stove will not leak smoke through the stove gasket because the burn chamber has negative air pressure.The vent pipe has positive pressure and will leak if not sealed properly.Good luck.