Harman P38 Burn Pot gasket.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JTBurner

Mar 14, 2014
Canada
Hello,

I am getting what seems to be an incomplete burn on my P38+ stove. I did a good cleaning of the stove, cleaned the pipes & replaced the door gasket which seems to have helped the situation. From what I have read from many posts \ forums, it is a air issue. I think that the combustion motor is good, it spins like a top, I can blow on it and it takes off.. What I was wondering is about the burn pot gasket. Are all of the gaskets the same? I did a quick look up, but I did not see anything that specifies a P38 / P38+ directly.

Any help would be appericated.

Image from what I found on the web.

Thank you!

1675264958940.png gasket.JPG

Thanks for this. I place a pic of the situation that I am experiencing, in your opinion, does it make sense when I say that it may be the burn pot leaking? That is a pic of the BP when running for 3 hours, the other image is what I assume is a leak from the gasket. I have never changed the gasket on the BP, on this unit, it is 16 years old.

Thanks for the help!

BP.JPG

Well I am not sure what I am looking at. Burn pot ash looks fine, looks like stove is off and going out. Cannot tell anything from other picture. Put a wrench or socket on the burn pot nuts see if they are loose. it is rare for that gasket to go bad, as it is "captive" and clamped between metal. But some older stoves, the pot or/and back of stove have warped.
Perhaps describe your "problem" better.

Good idea and thanks for the info. I will give it a go. The other pic to the right where there seems to air comin gout at the bottom where the nut is. I will try to tighten it up.

Thanks for the help!

You can check there when stove is not lit, as in just starting up, test mode,etc, and actually see if air is being sucked out, incense works well, as you have to shut door to test. Incense and a flashlight.

Reactions: JTBurner
I just ordered a few extras to have "on hand", but my 1992 stove still has it's original. It is a little flakey now, it might have been asbestos or something. I'll replace it next time I pull the burn pot. You might take the front door off the burn pot (Just loosen the two wing nuts and slide the plate up and off) and look in there at the rectangle passage way where the combustion air is drawn through, mine was about full of ash. Small shop vac hose got it. Click on the first link, opens the page, scroll down to compatible models, click on it ... it does show the P38 and the P38+ both as being "compatible" (It does not show my stove, but mine uses the same gasket and I installed a Harman burn pot a couple few years ago).

https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.com/products/harman-burn-pot-gasket-1-00-07381?variant=12490018652265&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2-2eBhClARIsAGLQ2Rk7nrmwN28aXCTxvFdCzT2pzD2_n0kMg4Uaq--uHcxvZTkxxd7iAQ0aAjJNEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Reactions: JTBurner
Thanks all.. I shut the stove down and took a wrench to see if bolts were loose.. To my amazement, they were, 2 of them. 1 turned about 3/4 turn and the other 1/2 turn. Warm at the moment outside, so will be checking how it runs today and will be buying a few of the gaskets regardless to change.

Thanks for your help on this..

Stay warm folks!

Well I am not sure what I am looking at. Burn pot ash looks fine, looks like stove is off and going out. Cannot tell anything from other picture. Put a wrench or socket on the burn pot nuts see if they are loose. it is rare for that gasket to go bad, as it is "captive" and clamped between metal. But some older stoves, the pot or/and back of stove have warped.
Perhaps describe your "problem" better.
My thought exactly, But with the P38 the gasket replacement only takes minutes since there is no igniter to mess with. I service many Harmans a week and cant remember the last time I had to replace burn pot gasket.

Reactions: tbear853
My thought exactly, But with the P38 the gasket replacement only takes minutes since there is no igniter to mess with. I service many Harmans a week and cant remember the last time I had to replace burn pot gasket.
No lighter on mine either, but that 1992 gasket was an off white color and just a light touch with a rag and it was flaking, so I stopped touching it. Maybe it's asbestos, but when next the burn pot is off & if it's still intact, I'll slip a fiberglass one on over top of it rather than try to peal it off. If it's falling apart, I'll scrape it off with one hand held scraper while holding my shop vac nozzle with the other in close proximity.

1124201441a (640x417).jpg

No lighter on mine either, but that 1992 gasket was an off white color and just a light touch with a rag and it was flaking, so I stopped touching it. Maybe it's asbestos, but when next the burn pot is off & if it's still intact, I'll slip a fiberglass one on over top of it rather than try to peal it off. If it's falling apart, I'll scrape it off with one hand held scraper while holding my shop vac nozzle with the other in close proximity.

View attachment 309094
Its not asbestos. Its a fiberglass type stuff.

His stove is old enough the original could be asbestos. But all new stuff is LyTherm or other ceramic papers.
Ok, About when was asbestos outlawed and phased out in general? I assumed it was back in the early 80's

We used to live in a 1947 era house with asbestos siding, that stuff loved paint. Like a match in heaven. It's still there, just a different color. As long as I'm not cutting it with a saw making dust, I'd be fine if it were hanging on the house here, except that this is a log home. Likely no market now for asbestos siding.

Do not use a air jet to blow brake dust in a drum brake set when changing shoes, etc. without protection. I do it ... outside, heavy mask, extra clothing, goggles too. What ever it takes to not chance inhaling the dust or carry it into the house.

Asbestos is a valued product needed for a few applications, but it has it's risks and demands great care in use. It costs more if being disposed of like when scrapping an old ship because it costs more to hire people to do it and supply them with protection. Was a time it was used for things that didn't require it's heat resisting properties, like house siding. It has been used less and less for some jobs where something else works because of hazards but it still serves a need in some applications.

Why would you think asbestos is "outlawed"? It is not outlawed or banned. It is regulated, as it has been, since the 30's. It can still be obtained, and is still used.
My bad, I just thought it was not used anymore the way it is made such a big deal of disposal. That is good to know.

I wanted to check really close again and since it got up into the mid 60s here today, the stove was off, so I pulled the cold burn pot away again to put an extra new fiberglass gasket over the OEM one shown above, as much for to protect it as anything.. The several years older one I ordered in '19 broke or was already broke in the thinner side which is under the rectangle opening. I'll keep it as a last ditch back up, I have the broke piece I can tape temporary until I get it sandwiched IF ever needed. Stove sure has been running sweetly lately.

Reactions: rickwai