Harman P43 low fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MadrasPhill

Feb 29, 2020
Madras, OR
My Harman P 43 refuses to hold a good fire. This has been going on for the past three days, although the stove has always been a bit finicky. I'm not happy that a stove that cost that much doesn't work right.What follows is as much information as I can come up with.

Harman P-43

3.5 years old
2.5 tons of pellets burned during life of stove(always premium)
Occasional problems since after the first 1/2 ton

Currently unable to maintain a fire in burn pot
Searched for a solution on line(Google)
Appears to not be feeding correctly
Auger feeds small amount of pellets
Auger works when set to test mode
I’m using constant feed, not thermostat

Performed all recommended maintenance

Emptied hopper and cleared upper auger area
Removed feeder clean out cover and cleared sawdust and pellets
Cleaned out burn pot
Cleaned area below burn pot
Cleaned all holes in burn pot grate
Cleaned combustion blower chamber
Vacuumed exhaust passage
Unplugged to reset
All doors seals are good

Any ideas before I call for help?

TIA
Phill

Hi Phill,

What mode are you running it in I.e. room temperature or stove temperature?

Explain a bit more what you mean about it not holding a good fire.

Have you cleaned the ESP probe?

Hugh

He
Hi Phill,

What mode are you running it in I.e. room temperature or stove temperature?

Explain a bit more what you mean about it not holding a good fire.

Have you cleaned the ESP probe?

Hugh
He said constant (Stove temp).
The esp could be dirty like Hugh said. The vacuum line could be partially obstructed. Have you cleaned the pipe?

have you tried a different brand of pellets to rule fuel out?

What are your settings (control panel settings)? I see constant feed, I assume that means stove temp mode, but an understanding of all settings will help.

Refuses to hold a good fire - does that mean that the fire gets large for a short time then gets small or does that mean the fire stays small (like it was in a maintenance low burn).

First thing I would check is that everything is on correctly - especially that cover to the fines box. And by check, I don't mean look at it, actually take it off and re-install.

Also a picture of your control panel settings would be helpful (as others have pointed out)

Reactions: railfanron