Harman p43 moans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
The stove burned out the other morning, and when I restarted it, the combustion fan, the only item that it shows running, started making a for lack of a better term, Moaning noise, it will get quiet for a bit then you can hear it start and it will get loud and then quiet back down. It did this last year also towards the end of the the season but didn't start until now. I have a recording on my phone but I am to dumb to figure out how to get it posted here.

I have listened to other Harman noise videos but nothing that sounds like what I have.

Hi Shtrdave
can you tell us how old your stove is and the last time you had the blowers out, cleaned and lubed?

stove has been in for 6 years, I have never pulled the combustion blower out of it. the distribution one I do about every other year.

Your combustion blower has sealed bearings. Unfortunately you are due for a replacement since mine lasted 5 years. Only thing you can do is be sure the impeller is clean and vacuum around the motor. I keep an extra one on hand and bearings..

I do take the fan off and clean it when I do my cleaning. Never took anything off the back on the combustion fan side of the stove. Guess I will have to get bearing and a motor, can't complain that fan runs 24/7 as I have the stove hooked to a thermostat so it always is burning.

I do take the fan off and clean it when I do my cleaning. Never took anything off the back on the combustion fan side of the stove. Guess I will have to get bearing and a motor, can't complain that fan runs 24/7 as I have the stove hooked to a thermostat so it always is burning.
Blow off the motor and then squirt some penetrating oil on the bearings. Usually the grinding comes when your bearings are dry from the seal going bad and leaking all the oil out. I once nursed a combustion blower on a Breckwell along this way for three years before buying a new one. You can also make sure the blades aren’t rubbing on the combustion cover.

took the cover off and cleaned it off best I could and gave it a couple of shots of penetrant, it quieted down some but still make the noise. it is odd it is not a constant noise, but more it comes and goes, almost like a change in load on the motor or bearing but there isn't any more of a load until the stove actually comes on for heat from idle, then it is quieter.

It is probably worn out,get a new motor,they are cheap.Those older motors were well built,just started slow,everytime the stove started up.The bearings had grease,which goes bad,hardens. You can "lift" the seals,with a pick tool,or needle,and spray oil into them,to get you through the winter.But,to get to the inner,you may have to take off several parts.but,would get you by.

Also, not sure when the change but, older motors had extended shaft off the back with a cooling fan attached, replacements short shaft no fan..FYI

Also, not sure when the change but, older motors had extended shaft off the back with a cooling fan attached, replacements short shaft no fan..FYI
At one point they were telling us to pull the blades off the cooling fan cause it wore out the motor faster. I rarely see one that still has the blades cause we were pretty good about catching them on annual servicing.

Mine only has the blades on the shaft, not the rear of the motor.