Harman P43 seven year review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hinkle

Jan 3, 2013
Portersville, PA
I bought my stove on 12/31/2012.

I write this now because I had my first actual replacement part. The distribution blower. I am assuming the bearing went as it made a horrific sound once it would kick on. I tried some high temp grease that did not help, as well as disassembling the blower but it was not cooperating.
Maintenance. Nothing out of the ordinary for Harman owners. Cleaning the fines box is probably the most time consuming, which takes under an hour, and once a year or once a ton if you want to stay on-top-of-things. Besides that dump the ash pan monthly and scrape the burn pot now and again, I try scrap the burn pot daily but its not totally required.
I'm still on the original ignitor. Combustion fan. Auger. Electronics.
I'm lucky and only had two issues in seven years. First was part of a pellet bag found its way into the hopper and stopped pellets from passing. An hour spent switching it into test mode slowly presented the problem. We (wife and I) were pleasantly surprised that it was a simple solution. Second was the previously mention distribution blower. I found a Harman direct replacement for 155 online but coughed up the bill for dealer prices (220 after tax). In the end it payed out a little as the wiring color has changed and the dealer was able to confirm. Yellow changed to green yellow. Simple enough for an electrician but when in a bind it paid off.
All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase. My only issue is the circulation in my 100+ year old farm house. The only thing I would change is upgrading to a P61 or P68, which I might possibly do in the future and move the P43 into the basement for supplemental heat.
Based on reviews from this site I've read some stoves can burn less for the same heat, which is great, but I love the monthly ash pan dumps. Its a great help when working 10+ hours a day. Even compared to the Harman inserts I would choose the "ugly" P series and its fantastic periodic cleanings.
Just my opinion while enjoying warm heat next to the stove.

Good stoves I have a p38+ that has been running for almost 20 years. In that time I have done a combustion blower, circulating fan and the main bord. Besides that it has been good. Poor thing has had a rough life in the basement.

Attachments

• 20191207_205910.jpg
    20191207_205910.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 361
I love my P-series Harmans. I find it interesting that you think the fines box cleaning is time consuming. I can do that in just a couple of minutes - most of that spend removing and installing the cover and about 15-30 seconds with a vacuum in between.

Reactions: hinkle
bogleb:
"I love my P-series Harmans. I find it interesting that you think the fines box cleaning is time consuming. I can do that in just a couple of minutes - most of that spend removing and installing the cover and about 15-30 seconds with a vacuum in between."

I agree. I have never found any quantity of fines in my P38 fines box - I clean it once a year.
Stove was installed about 2006-2007. Nothing has failed. Still 2 knob. However I only burn to supplement the geothermal. I usually burn 1-2 tons a season.

I love my P-series Harmans. I find it interesting that you think the fines box cleaning is time consuming. I can do that in just a couple of minutes - most of that spend removing and installing the cover and about 15-30 seconds with a vacuum in between.
I agree.takes me about 5 minutes to clean the fines box out because it's usually 2 minutes getting down on the floor and two minutes getting back up LOL. While we're on the subject, I have a p61a and is it normal to have that fined box pretty well full every few weeks? I get a lot of sawdust and lots of broken little pellets in that box.

I agree.takes me about 5 minutes to clean the fines box out because it's usually 2 minutes getting down on the floor and two minutes getting back up LOL. While we're on the subject, I have a p61a and is it normal to have that fined box pretty well full every few weeks? I get a lot of sawdust and lots of broken little pellets in that box.
You must have the newer feeder. You dont have to clean it near that often. Once per year. your box is open to the auger. The older feeder has a box that is not self cleaning. It just gets the fines off the top of the slide plate.
The p38 and p43 are harder tp clean because they are a smaller stove and less room to get to cover. The P61 and P68 have alot more room to get to the clean out.

I have a soot vac and when I see embers pushing up on the pot at full burn I clean out the fines . My stove popcorns realy hard so it's not that often.

Attachments

• 20191211_014128.jpg
    20191211_014128.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 341
My P61a fines box gets full faster than the P43 - even at the beginning of the season when I run more pellets thru the small stove.

You must have the newer feeder. You dont have to clean it near that often. Once per year. your box is open to the auger. The older feeder has a box that is not self cleaning. It just gets the fines off the top of the slide plate.
The p38 and p43 are harder tp clean because they are a smaller stove and less room to get to cover. The P61 and P68 have alot more room to get to the clean out.

The P43 is smaller, and less room, but I still don't have any issues cleaning it out quickly. My P43 is a 2012 (according to the sticker on the back), and the P61a is a 2013 stove. Maybe it is becasue I have small hands?

It was more of a sarcastic way of saying its simple. I only do it during a full tear down, which for me is disconnecting from the exhaust and pulling the stove away from the wall. Reconnecting the exhaust piping is the hardest part because I retrofitted the P43 to an existing stove's exhaust thimble and its not perfectly aligned to connect. Otherwise it would be a few minutes to loosen the 8 bolts and the wing nut to suck out the fines. Which is usually only a yearly requirement. It's been running great since the new blower install and higher temps than previously.

Reactions: bogieb