Harman p43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe most of us will tell you to set it between 3 & 4 & to keep it there.
The only time you may need to address the feed rate is when you change fuels.
Both of my Harmans are at 3.5...

Last edited:
I am also but many seem to like to run at feed rate 4. Is your stove new? If you go to room temp auto ignite and feed rate 4 then set your temp dial where you want it the stove runs itself. I found this to be helpful to establish a performance baseline of sorts. Many stay in this mode. Basically in room temp auto the stove will vary it's feed rate accordingly to maintain the burn and or temperature and will even go out. It will then fire back up when it calls for heat. Just because it is in feed rate 4 does not mean it is always feeding at that rate. It will use however many or little pellets it needs.

Where are your settings at currently? Look above here in the things your Harman manual doesn't tell you. I was confused with this too. You want to think that if you turn your feed rate way down then less pellets are used. This is not always the case. There are some peeps that go to constant burn when it's colder and adjusting things differently. Best I can describe that now is you always have at least a small fire burning and the stove doesn't take as long to ramp up to temp. You really have to read A LOT and experiment. Tons of variables and what works for some may be different for others.

Good Luck and keep it posted. What you are doing and the results. Search all the threads on this. Still figuring it out myself with constantly changing outside temps and all of the different variables. Soon to confuse it more by adding another stove.

Reactions: F4jock
I have about 4 bags of pellets in the stove so it's still getting broken in(lol), yes I have it set at 4 and Room temp auto, had it running all day today from around 8am-9pm went through almost a bag of pellets!

I've gone thru a couple of bags a day when it's colder. Just put another one in. Warmer tonight than it has been in awhile. What have the outside temps been in PA? I'll start keeping better track now on usage and what not. As long as it's warm I am not too concerned. Sitting on almost 8 tons. Probably closer to 7. Need to count some bags but I did almost reach a ton between Oct 18th til a couple of days ago.

I set my feed rate to 4.5. My current pellets will still burn completely when set to 5.5, but I want the stove to heat up just a tad slower do that it dosent overshoot the target temp. Set on room temp auto. The feed rate is really just to adhust for each fuel type. Every pellet is different. This fuel I got with the stove (10 bags) was set on 3.5, now I have several tons a a new fuel that needs a higher feed rate (5.5 but set to 4.5 currently) in order to hit "full throttle".

When I change fuel types I will do a test with the new fuel and in all likelihood will reduce back down the the common 3-4 setting.

It has been said many times on this site, feed rate that is set lower than what is truly required for your fuel will act just like a brick under your accelerator pedal on your car. You may, MAY, save a few pellets, but you are not accessing all of the horsepower of your stove. And since your P43 is pretty smart, it likely knows what is required to hit the setpoint you ask of it. There are probes, algorithms, adjustable blowers, all of which the stove uses to make the right choice, the only thing it doesn't know is if it is feeding pellets too fast and they are falling off the burnt unburned. Hence you adding that last data set. With pellet X, max feed rate is 3.5; with pellet Y, max feed rate of 5; ext...

Reactions: F4jock
What feed rate setting are you guys using ? Are you using the factory reccomend setting of 4 or finding something better? I'm new to this game!
I'very played with mine extensively in the years I've had it. Also live in PA. I run between 3 and 5. Right now at 4. Never had a problem with it overfeeding. It's self-limiting. Do read the sticky thread above as recommended. Lots of good info!

Status
Not open for further replies.