Harman P61-2 hole in firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

void7910

Jan 15, 2018
Kitchener, On
Hello all.

I just acquired a used P61-2 at a ridiculously low price. Slowly finding out why it was so cheap. Today was the first day I had a chance to really go over it. The previous owners mounted some duct work on the front. To do so they drilled a couple screw holes in the stove, around where the warm air blows out. One of the holes it appears has hit a baffle near the centre and has broken through into the firebox. When I shine a light up in the firebox I can see light out this hole. :( Is it at all possible to make it airtight again? Thought's on how to do so? Stick another screw in there? Caulk it? Is there some form of cement for this?

Thanks in advance,

You could try some high temp stove cement to get it through the season but i would have the holes welded up along with the ones on the outside and dress them up nice then refinish the whole stove. My OCD is showing:cool:

Reactions: Washed-Up
Interesting. I immediately jump to DIY. :) Didn't even think about welding them. I was planning on repainting the stove anyway due to some surface rust. It just so happens I have a guy in town in town who's done some metal work for me prior. Great idea! Thank you!

Ya. Definitely weld it up. I would never trust a caulking or cement to hold and risk you or someone else's health. I would be interested to see some pictures of what they were trying to do with the stove that they had to drill holes in it.

Ya. Definitely weld it up. I would never trust a caulking or cement to hold and risk you or someone else's health. I would be interested to see some pictures of what they were trying to do with the stove that they had to drill holes in it.

My thoughts exactly???? Maybe to attach some type of ducting to get heat elsewhere.... No idea and then drilling the box when there are other ways to fasten or connect whatever.

Today was the first day I had a chance to really go over it. The previous owners mounted some duct work on the front. To do so they drilled a couple screw holes in the stove, around where the warm air blows out. One of the holes it appears has hit a baffle near the centre and has broken through into the firebox.
a 1/4” hole is not that detrimental to your health. It will be sucking air in it and will make the stove not burn properly.

I was told they had attached duct work to the front so the blower would blow into the duct work instead of into the room. The one hole was done between the baffles but the other caught a baffle. :( The stove was approx $240 USD with all motors/auger working so I'm more than OK with putting some cash/labour into it.

Nice buy!! ;)

I agree a 1/4" hole would work if everything was running. If you lose power with a fire going, that's a different story. If Harman wanted holes that make it to the firebox I'm sure they would have built it that way. Not to mention sparks getting outside the stove.