Harman P61 for my Neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Posting this for my neighbor as he is getting rid of his wood insert and going to Pellets.
He is picking up a Harman P61, and they are going to vent it though his chimney where he had an insert...they are going to need to use about 30 feet of liner to get to the top....are there any other venting options when the venting will be in a chimney? (He wanted to go out the wall with the vent, but the Mrs's wants the stove where the insert was for asthetic reasons) I Don't know much about Pellet stoves, but thought that you could vent them with reasonable short runs.....just hate to have him spend the $$ on 30 feet of liner if their might be other alternatives.

We had our P61 installed in a corner. We have about 2 ft. of pipe between the stove and wall.
Outside another 2 ft. I think we have a harman wall thimble and are pulling in outside air for combustion.
Stove works great! They will love it.

Attachments

• P61-2_Installed.jpg
    P61-2_Installed.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 6,496
in many places you are obligated to run the liner. Here in NH you can still connect to an existing (in good working order) clay liner and be done. MA requires a reline for most everything, but some local building inspector types will sign off on a partial reline (connect to existing flue) because it is allowed by the manufacturers.

Does the insert already have a liner?

They have adapters to go from pellet pipe to 6" or 8" liners. If there isn't a liner? Probably the best to do the full liner.

daveswoodhauler said:
.....thought that you could vent them with reasonable short runs.....just hate to have him spend the $$ on 30 feet of liner if their might be other alternatives.

If you're thinking of just running a short piece of liner only partway up the flue, that's not a good idea. Do the job right, and run the liner to the top .....plus then you can add the proper pellet cap on top of the blockoff plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.