Harman P61 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dbenson

Sep 2, 2021
Michigan
Hello. I am new to this page, but have read thru your posts a lot over the years. I previously owned a St. Croix at old house and used this thread a lot.

Down to business. I recently purchased a 2 year old Harman P61. I have a hearth but need the venting. This is a corner install with one outside wall to a covered porch, and the other wall being the wall to the attached garage. Initially as I was thinking this purchase out a year ago, my plan was to run the vent thru exterior wall. Once the rubber has hit the road, I see that option isn’t going to be good, as it would require the vent to be a snake of 90s and 45s to clear the covered deck roof.

So now plan B. I want to run a 45 off stove thru thimble to attached garage. There it will hit the “T” for the vertical up and out. I want to go vertical with this install, as my St Croix was horizontal, and power outages weren’t fun.

With all that said, I have a few questions for the experts.

1. I know I’ll need 4” due to EVL calculations. So, should I start right at stove with 4” or could I do 3” for horizontal to 4” T (with increased fitting) and onward?

2. I was looking at taking a mortgage out for Excel ICC pipe as I've read good things, but was just offered up Bio Vent as an alternative. Thoughts on Bio Vent?

3. Finally, I am an over thinker and like to be safe, should I cap the vent end or, as I was told by a dealer, would that crest too much back pressure?

I look forward to the answers, and appreciate you taking the time!

Reactions: Washed-Up