Harman P61?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
After reading posts on this forum I decided I needed to see the Harman stoves in person so we went to the local dealer which is 120 miles away. The young lady that helped us was very knowledgeable about the product, she knew all the ins and outs of the venting, controls, btu, etc. etc. We looked at the XXV, very nice, the Advance, the Accentra and the P43 & P68. I asked her about the P61 which was not on the floor and she said they did not make a P61?? Could it be that the P61 is not sold in the West and that is why she did not know about it? Just curious and has anyone else had such an experience.

After reading posts on this forum I decided I needed to see the Harman stoves in person so we went to the local dealer which is 120 miles away. The young lady that helped us was very knowledgeable about the product, she knew all the ins and outs of the venting, controls, btu, etc. etc. We looked at the XXV, very nice, the Advance, the Accentra and the P43 & P68. I asked her about the P61 which was not on the floor and she said they did not make a P61?? Could it be that the P61 is not sold in the West and that is why she did not know about it? Just curious and has anyone else had such an experience.
I think it's very unlikely that the P61A is not sold in the west. Just sayin. It's a really popular pick, especially if you need a little more vroom than a P43 can deliver. We have a dealer here in the east that stocks the P68 but not the P61 and another one who stocks the P61 but not the P68. Both places say the stoves are basically a week away if you don't want what they stock.

P61A Would be a great choice if you can find it...
the P68 is only 7k BTU's more.
Always wondered why harman Made a model that only Upped another 7K BTU'S...
btw:
Harman plant is Upstate from us here near Phila,Pa.

I was confused about why she said that, because she did know her stuff. I may have misunderstood and she meant that they did not stock them. She actually said the P68 would be too much stove for our application so it was not like she was trying to up sell since she suggested the P43 if we did not want the aesthetics of the XXV, Accentra or Advance.

I was confused about why she said that, because she did know her stuff. I may have misunderstood and she meant that they did not stock them. She actually said the P68 would be too much stove for our application so it was not like she was trying to up sell since she suggested the P43 if we did not want the aesthetics of the XXV, Accentra or Advance.
Depending on the square footage of your house and Insulation or lack of coverage,
the P43 might need to be full throttle during the coldest months..
I'm sure last years Polar Vortex convinced lot of Pellet owners that sometimes bigger is better.
I would choose bigger as u can always have option to throttle up or down if needed..
[and if that meant only being able to get the P68 and Not the P61, I think I would feel more comfortable with The P68 As opposed to the P43...
From the moment we went into the dealer store, my wifes eyes Immediatley went to the fancy models u mention above..
I was more concerned with BTU'S, Xtra Large ash pan, hopper and ease of cleaning than asthetics which are all great points in the P series stoves...
I won but agreed to go for the Shiny decorative add on's and then she was happy.
ha.. flame almost looks fake in this pix.

Attachments

• IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Depending on the square footage of your house and Insulation or lack of coverage,
I'm sure last years Polar Vortex convinced lot of Pellet owners that sometimes bigger is better.
I would choose bigger as u can always have option to throttle up or down if needed..
[and if that meant only being able to get the P68 and Not the P61, I think I would feel more comfortable with The P68 As opposed to the P43...
From the moment we went into the dealer store, my wifes eyes Immediatley went to the fancy models u mention above..
I was more concerned with BTU'S, Xtra Large ash pan, hopper and ease of cleaning which are all great points in the P series stoves...
I won but agreed to go for the Shiny decorative add on's and then she was happy.
Should have added that with the bigger hopper, ash bin etc is for her benefit too:)

Tony, that table must be a toasty place to sit!

Part of the equation for me was radiant heat. At first I wanted little, so stoves like the XXV or the 52i insert were on our list. But I came to realize quickly that I wanted some radiant heat, that's where the P series Harmans come in. A good percentage of heat comes of the P series by radiating, though the blower is strong too. In the cast stoves you get very little radiating heat from them, it's nearly all convection ( blown heat). I was very concerned about radiating some heat sideways off the stove, much as with my old coal stove. This because I have two rooms I believe would not get heat well without that. Works great, no complaints ! The final seal of approval though was when I got to speak with the stores installer one day when he was the only guy in there ( before we bought). He went through the cleaning routine of the Harman choices we had, the p61 was the winner hands down.

Tony, that table must be a toasty place to sit!
I'm thinking that table not going to hold up for long, think dry glue and cracking . But hey, I have two pianos in my stove room/living room. One is digital though, the other a grand. The grand really needs to get out of there.

I was more concerned with BTU'S, Xtra Large ash pan, hopper and ease of cleaning than asthetics which are all great points in the P series stoves...
You guys might remember my whole go around with the wife over the fake antlers ( logs) she was trying to hold me to because she wasn't getting her "pretty" stove and I deemed the P61 best ! Well, still no antlers. She sat half the winter last year by that stove knitting with a broken rib and loved it ( the stove and knitting, not the rib). Cats all around her sucking up the radiant heat !

I'm thinking that table not going to hold up for long, think dry glue and cracking . But hey, I have two pianos in my stove room/living room. One is digital though, the other a grand. The grand really needs to get out of there.
Actually, I moved the table few feet away from the stove..[doesn't look like from picture].
The chair closest actually started to warp[bend] a bit.. no one noticed but I did...thankfully not an exspensive table/chair set.

What about a scenic tile?
I got an out dated one and updated it!

Attachments

• HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 156
  • HarmanP61orig.jpg
    HarmanP61orig.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: alternativeheat
What about a scenic tile?
I got an out dated one and updated it!
Yes we have the deer tile, deer in wilderness. But it doesn't have the nice paint yours has, thats a nice dress up ! We have the nickel trim but just for the dust shelf and tile surround. Not the door or louvers. And no fake antlers inside the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.