Harman P61a distribution blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Stove is about 7 years old, distribution blower is starting to make some noises. A squeal here, squeak there. Still runs fine, just noisy at times.

I clean it when I cleat stove, usually 2-3 times a month o do a full cleaning. I use compressed air and get what dust i can out.

Is there anything else I should do? Anything that needs to or I can add lube to? Seems like I should have had to tighten something or add some lube to it at some point?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I am not for certain but I have seen where people have oiled bearings and such here. Use the search bar and see if you can find anything. I have pulled the distribution blower from my PC45. It's pretty simple and easy. The fan and stuff could probably use some 3 in 1 oil at this point. On the spindle and stuff. I imagine that is where it would be squeaking.

From what I remember I think it was two self tapping screws that hold the entire unit onto the stove. Then there are three smaller ones that hold the cover plate over the squirrel cage or fan blade. Pretty quick and easy to do. It's on the right side as you know since you clean it. The fan blade comes off easy after you loosen a set screw. I am sure you could lube it easily doing this and check for wear. I would think a little shot of lube might remedy any squeaks and prolong it's life.

I am not for certain but I have seen where people have oiled bearings and such here. Use the search bar and see if you can find anything. I have pulled the distribution blower from my PC45. It's pretty simple and easy. The fan and stuff could probably use some 3 in 1 oil at this point. On the spindle and stuff. I imagine that is where it would be squeaking.

From what I remember I think it was two self tapping screws that hold the entire unit onto the stove. Then there are three smaller ones that hold the cover plate over the squirrel cage or fan blade. Pretty quick and easy to do. It's on the right side as you know since you clean it. The fan blade comes off easy after you loosen a set screw. I am sure you could lube it easily doing this and check for wear. I would think a little shot of lube might remedy any squeaks and prolong it's life.
What would I use for Lube? 3 in 1 oil?

Last year the distribution blower on my P68 started to develop a rattle, so I took it off, disassembled it, and applied some 3-in-1 oil, put it all back together and it has been quiet ever since. It was really very easy to do, took maybe 20 mins. You will need a small allen or star wrench (can't remember which) to complete the disassembly. Once you get the cover off the fan housing you will see what I mean. While you are in there, take the opportunity to get the squirrel cage cleaned up like brand new as well. Really tough to get the fins clean when it's on the stove.

Last year the distribution blower on my P68 started to develop a rattle, so I took it off, disassembled it, and applied some 3-in-1 oil, put it all back together and it has been quiet ever since. It was really very easy to do, took maybe 20 mins. You will need a small allen or star wrench (can't remember which) to complete the disassembly. Once you get the cover off the fan housing you will see what I mean. While you are in there, take the opportunity to get the squirrel cage cleaned up like brand new as well. Really tough to get the fins clean when it's on the stove.
Good to know! I was looking at it tonight thinking it didn't look to bad to take off and clean. Stove needs a cleaning anyway, just waiting for it to get into the 20's for more than an hour.

Thanks!

That's what I would use but only on the spindle and turning parts. Don't put it in the electrical or windings. It's a fairly simple unit and really not much to lube. Might even have sealed bearings and stuff. On my 45 it is a Dayton Blower. Haven't messed with the blower on my new P68 but they are all very similar or likely the very same blower.

The squeaking could be caused if the blower wheel is contacting the housing or inlet ring too. There are only a few parts to the entire thing. The motor which the spindle comes out of and the blower wheel attaches. The housing, blower wheel, and inlet ring. I had taken mine off and apart to thoroughly clean because it was dirty and I put drops of oil on it.

Google Dayton Blower model # 2C646A, 2C647A, and 9PC78 and look at specs and pics. Not sure if this is your exact motor but it should be very similar. They are supposed to be oiled I am pretty sure on intervals of 6 months or at least annually. SAE 10W or 20W non detergent oil (ML-type) or with electric motor oil whatever that is. I am looking at Dayton Blower instructions and manual now that came with the new blower. Doesn't say exactly where to oil though but I imagine it's the spindle and moving parts. 3 in 1 will work but it might not last as long.

This Dayton Blower manual says 10 to 20 drops every 6 months of the oils stated above but 3 in 1 or whatever you have will work too.

Reactions: Bigjim13
UNPLUG! Before hand just to be safe and not short anything out.

Reactions: Bigjim13
This Dayton Blower manual says 10 to 20 drops every 6 months of the oils stated above but 3 in 1 or whatever you have will work too.
Thanks! I think I may try to pull the blower off this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.