Harman P61A noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Atremy

May 1, 2023
NY USA
I have a P61A stove that is making a few noises that my brothers P43 does not.
The first is a ticking from the air intake when the wind is blowing strong and pulling a vacuum on the stove. This ticking is very loud, is there normally anything that would stop this noise, a rubber gasket or something that the flapper should be hitting?
The other noise is a constant whistling from between the hopper and the burn pot when the combustion fan is running. This is not the auger, the fines box etc. It is a vacuum whistle, it stops if the lid is opened, and is louder if the hopper is completely full, where should I be looking for an air leak on this?
I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum
I take it that you have an OAK installed. Do you get the ticking when the wind blows
across the intake or directly at it?
For the whistle make sure the hopper lid is closed all the way and no pellets or pellet pieces
holding it from full closure. That would be a good place to start

have same stove.. ticking is the air intake flap..
sometimes it does it when real windy out and stove is not even on..
air blowing thru the Outdoor air kit tunnel.
has done it off/on over past 8 yrs.. nothing to worry about..
i do get a whistle sometimes but never was concerned about it.. make sure hopper rim area is clean...
stove functions as well as when new.. don't really see any problem with your stove other than annoyances..
Unless your flame has changed a lot... that would indicate a vacuum leak somewhere..

My P43 occasionally makes the ticking when windy, my P61a doesn't (well, it might but I don't hear it from the main floor even if I concentrate and I can here the pellets drop if I pay attention). The P43 is closer to a diret vent set up (with a couple an elbow for alignment) while the P61a has a 5-6' (angled) vertical rise. The exhausts and OAKs on the same side of the house. I don't worry about it and although when the P43 starts ticking, I notice it, once I identify the sound, I easily block it from my mind.

Reactions: Tonyray
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
I don't have an outside air kit, so it must be the air blowing across the exhaust vent... it only happens when the stove isn't running and it's at least a little windy. But it is very annoying, it is loud enough that I am going to detach and cover the exhaust vent for the summer, the exhaust has 90 degree piece on the end like a dryer vent, maybe I need a different style end so that it doesn't pull as much of a vacuum when the wind blows?
The whistle also gets very loud, maybe I'll try pulling it apart this summer and reseal all the joints inside the stove.

My P43 occasionally makes the ticking when windy, my P61a doesn't (well, it might but I don't hear it from the main floor even if I concentrate and I can here the pellets drop if I pay attention). The P43 is closer to a diret vent set up (with a couple an elbow for alignment) while the P61a has a 5-6' (angled) vertical rise. The exhausts and OAKs on the same side of the house. I don't worry about it and although when the P43 starts ticking, I notice it, once I identify the sound, I easily block it from my mind.
yeah..
my OAK/exhaust face North so it's a givin sometimes..
things that go bump in the nite...lol

Reactions: bogieb
Hello
I would suggest an exhaust cap like this?
It can be straight out or 90 or anywhere in between. You can also turn it to face it so the wind does not blow into it. Maybe worth a try. :)

7440833E-D038-450B-9FEA-A2145C3B4E35.png

Reactions: Atremy
Hello
I would suggest an exhaust cap like this?
It can be straight out or 90 or anywhere in between. You can also turn it to face it so the wind does not blow into it. Maybe worth a try. :)

View attachment 312764
I use a 45* elbow as my end cap for the P43. It is angled slightly away from the wind. But, the exhaust is such a short run the flapper will still move during really windy days (if the stove isn't running). Not sure if that has more of an angle to it, but at the very least, it should reduce the frequency compared to just a straight end cap. Nice that it has built in critter control.

Reactions: Don2222