Harman P68 Initing Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkerrjr

Dec 8, 2008
Eastern CT
Hi Everyone - I recently bought a used P68 that is in its fifth season and is running well. I've been running it for 2 weeks and on some days I'm having trouble getting it started. What happens is pellets fill into the burn pot to the point that they start to overflow into the ash pan. After about 20 minutes I start to see a lot of smoke outside and then the pellets finally ignite. Twice the flame has burst through the pellets as such force that I've heard a loud popping sound and pellets have sprayed against the glass door. After 5-10 minutes, the extra pellets in the burn pot start to burn away and the normal flow of pellets starts and the stove seems to run fine.

I bought this stove from someone I know in town and he didn't mention that he had any problems getting the stove to start - and I'm not under the impression that he would hide this from me. I'm starting to think that this problem is more "user-error" than stove issue but I'm running out of options to try. The stove was thoroughly cleaned before we installed it - is it possible that I need to give the burn pot another deep cleaning? This morning I gave it a good scraping and removed a lot of black ash build-up and thought that this would help - but it didn't. I wouldn't think I'd have to give the stove a full service cleaning more than once a month - and like I said I've only been running it for two weeks. I'm using the same setting on the feed adjuster as the previous owner - but I'm using different pellets - should I try to change the setting? Since the burn pot is filling up with pellets before it ignites - I would assume that the feed rate is too high - but maybe not??

Lastly, I read in the manual about having a draft meter reading done when installing the stove - the manual states that if the unit is adjusted too low the low draft pressure switch may not allow the feed motor or the igniter to operate. We installed this stove ourselves and didn't do this reading - could this be a problem?

I know other people have posted similar topics on the forum recently - but I wanted to see if my problem could be different. The obviously issue could be a a faulty igniter - but since the stove does eventually ignite - I'm just getting confused at this point.

Sorry for the long post - I appreciate any ideas or feedback.

Thanks!

I am not sure what determines how many pellets get put into the pot initially during startup. Go ahead ahead and try a lower feed rate. Can't hurt anything. Then you will know if that affects it.

As far as the lighting, my Harman auger fills the pot about half way (or a little more) then the feed seems to halt while the ignitor does it's thing. Then I see some smoke and then the flames appear and the smoke immediately clears out. I have not had any issues where the pot over fills with pellets.

Also, you will not only need to clean the burn pot, but make sure area around the ignitor is clean.

I had the same problem with my P68, there are two wing nuts under the burn pot. Loosen those nuts, remove the access cover and clean all the ash out of there and the stove should work like new. Be careful while cleaning because of the wires and I unplug my stove before doing this. I use a vacuum to get mine clean.

The last one or two rows of holes toward the burn pot can get plugged. Those holes are the closest to where the igniter is located and can effect how long to ignite the pellets. Use a small mirror to see if they are plugged with carbon.
What is weird is that the pellets overflow. The control board should only allow the auger to run for 2.5 to 3 minutes and then shutdown until the exhaust sensor is at temp (whatever that is).... Sounds like your auger just keeps going.

My two cents..................

goatman-68 said:
The last one or two rows of holes toward the burn pot can get plugged. Those holes are the closest to where the igniter is located and can effect how long to ignite the pellets. Use a small mirror to see if they are plugged with carbon.
What is weird is that the pellets overflow. The control board should only allow the auger to run for 2.5 to 3 minutes and then shutdown until the exhaust sensor is at temp (whatever that is).... Sounds like your auger just keeps going.

It will repeat the priming of the burnpot several times pausing for about 5 minutes between primings till it either ignites or gives the 6 blink error...

I agree with the rest make sure the burnpot is clean, (down to the metal) and the holes are clear, and the area under the burnpot is clean....
Also make sure the intake damper is moving freely.......
And last..... it is 5 years old the combustion blower and or ignitor could be on it's last legs.......

It will repeat the priming of the burnpot several times pausing for about 5 minutes between primings till it either ignites or gives the 6 blink error…

Sorry, didn't know it repeated priming...........

GVA said:
goatman-68 said:

It will repeat the priming of the burnpot several times pausing for about 5 minutes between primings till it either ignites or gives the 6 blink error...

5 blink error is an ignition failure. 6 is incomplete combustion. The stove will try to light itself 4 times (8minute cycle each time) before it will lock into a 5 blink error code on the status light. The feed adjuster has no impact on the amount the stove feeds at start up, the stove will feed for a pre-determined lenght of time.

Parrot Head said:
GVA said:
goatman-68 said:

5 blink error is an ignition failure. 6 is incomplete combustion. .
You know I feel the alzheimers kickin in a little more every day.....What was the problem again........

What parothead says would make sense that the control board is preset to feed the pellets for a predetermined time during the initial startup. Besides the timing being off for the stove, the only other thing I could think of is if your pellets are very, very granular then this could cause more pellets to feed into the auger due to their size being smaller than most. Thus more pellets making it into the pot during the same period of auger running time.

Status
Not open for further replies.