Harman P68 Paint job.....high heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bjb4d5

Dec 16, 2019
Kansas
I have a Harman P68 that I bought used and I am thinking of having it repainted (has some blemishes and scratches) and I really want it to look good. I received a bid from a Liquid and Powder coat company for the following: Media blast and hi temp coating: $360. For an additional $185 they will coat using a ceakote hi temp (both options rated to 2100 degrees in black). Just wanted to get your thoughts on doing this, cost, etc.

Stove bright Satin Black $12.00-$20.00 a can at your local stove shop; how bad of shape is it?

What year is the stove? The money might be better spent on a new one. Otherwise, I'd take Nitro-Fish's suggestion and just touch it up myself.

Very good point.......the stove is 5 years old. (got it for $1500 which I thought was a decent price) Really not in that bad of shape. Just thought I would others input before I spent too much. That can of spray paint is sounding better and better.

X4.

Assuming you are fit enough to do a little prep work, the satin or flat finish Stove Brights will do the job and blend in well. I did some minor touch-up from scratches caused while moving my stove and no one will ever be the wiser.

There are some high temp (1200f) powders out there (e.g. https://www.columbiacoatings.com/H7710001) that would make a nice finish if you want to have the work done professionally. When I looked up the cerakote it was listed as 500f+ but they show a comparison against high temp PC at 1200f so it should be fine as well. Surface temps of touchable areas will not see this kind of heat so either will work. The only question is seeing examples of both so you can decide if the gloss level meets your expectations. That said, you already have an example of the Stovebright gloss level in front of you...

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
Hello
I picked up one like that. It was golden fire brown and just cleaned it up with A wire wheel on a drill for the inside of the fire box and then cleaned it with Acetone from Home Depot. Then I painted using spray cans, the firebox with 2,000 degree VHT Flame Proof flat black used for car headers and the outside with Stove Bright Satin Black which is what the stove manufacturer uses so it matches exactly. The paint fades in approx 3-4 years of normal use so it could be painted again to keep it looking new. The paint gives it a nice rich color and it does look like brand new. :)
See my pics here.

Reactions: Washed-Up