Harman parts expected life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosporsche

Dec 31, 2012
Shelton,ct
Since I bought my p61 used and it's manufactured date was in 2007 was just wondering how long the flame guide auger or burn pot lasts. Hours of use. I've been burning it 24/7. I think the previous owners kinda did the same. I no there house was around 1500 sq and mines 2700 so I'm def pushing it more. Just wondering how often theses parts need to be replaced.

My vague, yet accurate, answer is a long time. I'm speaking of the non electric parts of the stove. If you have a lot of low burning hours and/or are lazy about keeping the carbon deposits on the pot and auger to a minimum, you'll likely find their life decreases a bit.

The ESP, comb and dist blowers, auger motor, igniter, etc, are the "consumable" items. Also, expect to replace the door gasket at around the same intervals.

I've had my Harman Invincible 18 years and it has consumed approximately 75 tons of pellets. I have replaced the combustion motor, distribution blower, and door gasket once. I have replaced the control board and the flame guide twice.

Reactions: chken
Do the blower motors or feed auger motors fail suddenly or are there warning signs to look for so one could be better prepared for such an event. Are these parts reasonably replaced by a home owner? How much do they cost, and do most dealers stock them? Or are there so many variations between models and age of models to be stocked by the average dealers? I certainly would not be happy to wait a week for a spare motor or for an appointment for the dealer to fit me in.

Do the blower motors or feed auger motors fail suddenly or are there warning signs to look for so one could be better prepared for such an event. Are these parts reasonably replaced by a home owner? How much do they cost, and do most dealers stock them? Or are there so many variations between models and age of models to be stocked by the average dealers? I certainly would not be happy to wait a week for a spare motor or for an appointment for the dealer to fit me in.

Speaking in terms of purely mechanical failures most motors will exhibit audible distress before failure. Usually bearing noise or in the case of auger motors, gear wear. Although it is typical to hear a signs of distress before motor failure it is not always the case. There are other factors to consider such as wiring, control board and safety component failure. Those type of failures will be dependent on the make on manufacture of the stove.

I own a Harman XXV and find the stove easy to repair. Your comfort level will depend on your mechanical abilities and comfort level working with electrical appliances. A little education with your stoves manual and some common sense can go a long way. Not to mention there are a bunch of good folks here to help with specific questions.

I personally keep a few spare parts on hand. If you are concerned about part availability I would contact your dealer about part availability. There are a few web sites that you can order OEM parts from if you prefer to have parts on hand. Just google harman parts and check out some web sites.

Exhaust fan from amazon $101

I think the life expectancy of any part on any stove depends on whether you have a spare or not. :) Buy a spare and the original will last forever. Order a spare and the original will die when you hit the ENTER key! At least that's my luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.