Harman Pb105

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Duffman

Feb 8, 2018
loc
Good morning!

New member, but I've been using these forums as one of my primary resources for my newfound pellet addiction.

Anyways, bought a pf100 used for $1200 for my shop, and it has been kicking ass. I was going to put a pf120 in the house as it is configured for forced hot air as it is, but I've started leaning towards running forced hot water because
A) the duct work in this old house is 3.5" coleman duct work, so I couldn't even really move a lot of air if I wanted to without repiping the whole house,
B) I can almost eliminate fully my oil hog furnace, and probably get away with a small tankless to do dhw instead of my kwh hog electric water heater.

Gone through $1000 in oil and $300 in electric that I think the pb105 could have done for less.

I know they're discontinued, but that doesn't scare me. I'm a welder and machinist my trade and have no issue with fabricating a new auger or burnpot.

I'm currently on the trail of two pb105s, for around $3000

So, thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In your situation go for it. Knowing how things work and being able to do the work yourself goes a long way in keeping costs down.

In your situation go for it. Knowing how things work and being able to do the work yourself goes a long way in keeping costs down.
Yeah, I thought so, I've read about as much as I can up on these machines, and from what I've read there aren't a whole lot out there. What do you think factory support is going to be like in 5 years time?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Try to find a later model with the pressure igniter.

Also, ask if the original burnpot was replaced with the improved "lifetime" pot. The originals tended to crack. Harman replaced a lot of them and finally designed a pot that would hold up -- but as a replacement part they list at about $700. Earth Sense Energy has built a knockoff that costs $400-$500.