Harman PC 45 ignitor questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

motto55

Oct 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
Good day All

I have an older PC45 (probably 15+yrs) Anyway I bought it from a neighbor and got it installed and working around January of 2021. The neighbor said the auto lighting function was working when they had it. Since I have it installed I have not been able to use the auto function. Since it was January I didn't worry about it. Now that we are starting a new heating season I would like to have that working for the days that it doesn't need to run constantly. If I try to use the auto function I hear a lot of growling noise from the back of the unit. Eventually the fuse will blow. In reading a few other posts I may have a bad ignitor and the air pump may need repair/replacement. However I didn't see or I missed it in the manual where the ignitor is actually located. I googled ignitor replacements but all I ever find is the finned ignitor. Looking for some more info on how this system works.

Thanks.

Matt

Unplug the stove….The igniter is inside the burnpot, there are 2 wing nuts underneath that hold a small access plate on, when you do check it(my guess is that it’s packed with ash). Also check the fines box, it’s up under the left side of your stove, you may have to take the rear skirt off….it’s been known to create auger squeal when packed…also be careful not to move the horizontal plate about 2/3 the way up. I just vacuum mine with out touching it after the plate is removed

0E960741-1C3A-40E6-9ED2-FB7AB815BA02.jpeg E0C6A6DE-1FA9-42B3-BE37-07BD8FFD0F10.jpeg

The igniter is a 450 watt pencil type that needs air blown through it for cooling. If the air pump is not working the igniter will burn out quickly. The air pump can make quite a bit of noise when running if mounts are loose or rear sheet metal panels are loose. If you remove top rear panel the air pump is on the left side and a large clear hose connects to the igniter which goes into the auger feeder assembly.

Oh good eye jzm2cc, not sure how I missed that!

Please disregard the photos of the burnpot on mine previous post. Maybe this video will help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video.

Anyway I finally got a bit of time to look at the stove. I located the igniter and took it out. It looks good visually. I ohmed it and got a reading of 11.8 Mega ohms. That anywhere near correct?

1E981683-F1C7-4D9E-A2BB-057FD4911945.jpeg 2B58659E-F2DF-4235-8B24-AEF8BF03802F.jpeg

Reactions: Washed-Up
I got the stove back together. I made sure the end of the tube for the igniter was open. There was a little bit of soot cakes there. My air pump is also moving air.
Anyway I tried it again for getting it to self light. I took a short video of the stove running during the self light. I had it running 45-60 seconds and I did not see any smoke or what looked like an attempt to light. I’ll wait to hear from someone on the ohm reading of the igniter before I try it again

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1722.MOV
    18.7 MB
Does a Harman ignitor work that fast "within a minute"
Dam that must be one hot rod

P61A here... large burnpot that takes lot of pellets on initial burn.
sometimes around 5 minutes till ignition which is normal [from beginning of pellet feed]..

P61A here... large burnpot that takes lot of pellets on initial burn.
sometimes around 5 minutes till ignition which is normal [from beginning of pellet feed]..
Thanks. I’ll let it go longer the next time I try the auto light function. I guess I wasn’t patient enough with it before

Matt

Don't have a Harman. I have an Enviro and it takes 5 to 8 min
for fire to start depends on how many pellets are in the pot and what brand

I believe my igniter is bad. I tried to let the stove light itself again this evening. I set a timer and walked away for a bit. I let the thing run 15min. It did not light. I don’t see any discoloration of the pellets around the igniter port. The igniter light is “on” on the control panel as well

Don't remember exactly, but the ohm reading on your igniter should be around 40 to 50 ohms.It is bad.

Yes,unfortunatly Amazon and others do track our stuff,also happens to me.That looks like a good price,they are expensive for that unit,not like the cheaper igniters other Harmans use.

I have dealt with these people,they are pretty big--ESES. And they have it cheaper,and they also sell an aftermarket one, which I would not be afraid of.