Harman PC45 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jsiets97

Jun 26, 2019
MN
New to the forum been a service tech in the hearth industry for around 3 years and the hvac industry for 12 years before that.

I am now the owner of a Harman PC45 pellet stove installed a gas stove for a customer and was told that if i wanted it to put it in the trailer and was told that it did not work. While removing the pellet stove i found that the 3 inch exhaust pipe on it was choked down to about a 1 inch diameter with soot. Got it home and into the shop plugged it in and it took right off and lit right up without any exhaust pipe, so guessing the problem was the choked off exhaust pipe and needing a very thorough once over as far as i can tell for now.

The questions that i have for now are

1. How old is this stove it has the black door with a wooden handle serial number of 004438 test date of 1998

2. Is the draft inducer supposed to run continuosly once plugged in or does it just go through a test procedure once plugged in only had it plugged in for a few minutes and it had started to burn right away and didnt want to smoke myself out of the shop so i unplugged it.

By "draft inducer" do you mean the combustion fan? If so, yes it runs all the time when burning. These are forced draft machines, not natural buoyancy draft. If the stove is not on the fan will run for about a minute unless the ESP temperature is high and it thinks there is a fire in the stove.

I believe there are 3 knobs on the circuit board, not at home currently to double check. And yes by draft inducer I mean Combustion blower. I know it was fairly warm in my shop when i plugged it in any idea what temp The esp kicks the combustion blower on and off at, i have not cleaned it off yet as there is a fair amount of build up on it currently waiting for a rainy day to get into the shop, and tear into this thing with a really good deep cleaning on it, there is corn sitting in the air intake on it actually.

Any tips for cleaning the combustion blower fins on it, they are completely caked and baked on a paint brush will not touch it needs to be a cleaning or soot dissolving compound of some sort debating soaking it in hearth and stove cleaner or maybe a container with some vinegar to soften it up, Guessing trying to change out just the fan on the combustion blower will be next to impossible due to the nature of burning corn.

Thanks for all the replies it is greatly appreciated

I believe there are 3 knobs on the circuit board, not at home currently to double check. And yes by draft inducer I mean Combustion blower. I know it was fairly warm in my shop when i plugged it in any idea what temp The esp kicks the combustion blower on and off at, i have not cleaned it off yet as there is a fair amount of build up on it currently waiting for a rainy day to get into the shop, and tear into this thing with a really good deep cleaning on it, there is corn sitting in the air intake on it actually.

Any tips for cleaning the combustion blower fins on it, they are completely caked and baked on a paint brush will not touch it needs to be a cleaning or soot dissolving compound of some sort debating soaking it in hearth and stove cleaner or maybe a container with some vinegar to soften it up, Guessing trying to change out just the fan on the combustion blower will be next to impossible due to the nature of burning corn.

Thanks for all the replies it is greatly appreciated
Are they not just held on with Allen Screw? Seems simple enough to undo it and soak it in H20 or such with Simple Green (Outside Please).

Are they not just held on with Allen Screw? Seems simple enough to undo it and soak it in H20 or such with Simple Green (Outside Please).

Will give that a whirl past experience has been with the heat and corosive nature of burning corn that the Impeller would basically weld itself to the shaft at least from my experience working on St Croix stoves it was normally just replace the assembly instead of just the impeller.

Will give that a whirl past experience has been with the heat and corosive nature of burning corn that the Impeller would basically weld itself to the shaft at least from my experience working on St Croix stoves it was normally just replace the assembly instead of just the impeller.

Yes, they do. Last summer I tried to see if I could at least get the allen screw to come out, and I soaked it with penetrating oil a few times every day for over two weeks. The screw would not budge.

Yes, they do. Last summer I tried to see if I could at least get the allen screw to come out, and I soaked it with penetrating oil a few times every day for over two weeks. The screw would not budge.
Tried to remove it last night and no avail but luckily ever so carefully the chunks started to fall off and when plugged in it does not have any vibrations need to clean the glass yet and the esp and exhaust tube from the back to the front and it should be all good to go soaking the phillips head scew with penetrating spray right now to pull the esp out wanted that out before i went after cleaning the exhaust

Are you crazy? Combustion motors and impellers are very cheep. Saw it off with sawzall, replace everything, and have a fully functioning stove very quick.+-

Reactions: Washed-Up
Are you crazy? Combustion motors and impellers are very cheep. Saw it off with sawzall, replace everything, and have a fully functioning stove very quick.+-
thats the plan just wanted to get everything as clean as i could, want to do a test burn on this stove before i install it.