Harman pf100 igniter dip switch settings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slack11

Jan 17, 2014
Upstate NY
Just bought a used pf100, installed it today, and having some issues that I don't think are normal....I'll apologize before this, may be a couple of dumb questions, but I have about zero knowledge or experience with anything pellets....

From a cold start and an empty burnout it take s half an hour to light.... When it finally does go, the burnout is overfilling into the ash tray, and it creates a ton of smoke when it lights...

Reading some archived posts, the burnout should only be up to the first two rows when igniting.... I am guessing that with this huge mound of pellets in the burnout it just takes forever to get enough air to these to get them to ignite. I have also read about changing my dip switches....

Are the dip switches above the power and status button on the control panel? My front cover there looks like there has a hole punched in it, no there are 8 numbered switches that can slide up and down? Are these the dip switches? Can I change these settings while the furnace is running? Just don't want to break my new toy....thanks for any and all help. Is "on" when the switch is up? I think I can read writing that indicates this, but want to make sure. If that is right, mine is set as 1off, 2on, and 3 off.

Don't know much about the boilers but thought you might appreciate the manual... http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PF100.pdf

Have you installed an OAK (outside air kit)? If not, you may not be getting enough air for combustion requirements as it will be competing with other appliances (dryer, fans, etc) drawing air from the interior of the house. Has a major clean been done on the unit (internal exhaust pathways) before you installed it?

I'm sure others will chime in with info on dip switches... yes you found them but can't advise on settings.

Just bought a used pf100, installed it today, and having some issues that I don't think are normal....I'll apologize before this, may be a couple of dumb questions, but I have about zero knowledge or experience with anything pellets....

From a cold start and an empty burnout it take s half an hour to light.... When it finally does go, the burnout is overfilling into the ash tray, and it creates a ton of smoke when it lights...

Reading some archived posts, the burnout should only be up to the first two rows when igniting.... I am guessing that with this huge mound of pellets in the burnout it just takes forever to get enough air to these to get them to ignite. I have also read about changing my dip switches....

Are the dip switches above the power and status button on the control panel? YES My front cover there looks like there has a hole punched in it, no there are 8 numbered switches that can slide up and down? YES Are these the dip switches? YES Can I change these settings while the furnace is running? YES Just don't want to break my new toy....thanks for any and all help. Is "on" when the switch is up? I think I can read writing that indicates this, but want to make sure. If that is right, mine is set as 1off, 2on, and 3 off.
Make sure the area below the burnpot where the igniter is located (finned ignition) is clean. From left to right, 1,2,3 dip switches control the quanity of pellets fed into the burnpot at startup, on is up. If you have excessive pellets in the burnpot with the present settings, try 1 off, 2 on 3 on, these settings are for the least amount off pellets fed into the burnpot at startup.
Harman Dipswitch Settings.jpg

Attachments

• 12--2010-Dipswitch-Settings.jpg
    12--2010-Dipswitch-Settings.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,036
Reactions: Lake Girl
Will and lake girl,
Thanks for the help....I checked the area under the igniter, was clean from my initial cleaning. Changed the settings to the slowest rate from your post, and she started in 9 minutes from cold, and had very little smoke when it fired...

Thanks a ton for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.