Harman pot cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yrock87

Aug 26, 2014
Fairbanks, AK
Can anyone here resist the urge to clean their burn pot for more than a few hours? If so, how long has your stove continued to perform?

I have a harman P43 that I have gone 3 days on to see if it really will keep running without issue. I leave for a few weeks in a couple days and my neighbor will check the house one a day for me, grab the mail and load a bag of Pellets. I am curious if it will keep running (well) without him scraping the pot constantly.

When I had my xxv I would go at least a week of burning 24/day before cleaning. I could easily have gone longer.

I give the burnpot a quick scrape to remove the "speedbump" about every other bag during the heating season.
I scrape the heat exchanger once a week.

I scrap the burn pot once a day using the Harman scraper. It takes all of 5-10 seconds.

I have 'resisted' for a week without issue. Feeding her Okies in the dead of winter. I recall thinking I could have gone longer but I couldn't resist the urge to scrape and clean.

I scrape the pot as soon as I see an alteration in flame pattern. With DF's that could be a day or two. With Nature's Own it could be two hours, my wife was home to scrape with those. However I have never tried just letting it go so I can't answer the longevity question. But I guess I would suggest either teaching he neighbor to scrape the pot or get some really clean burning pellets like DF.

Reactions: Mr. Spock
I do 3-4 days on a pot scrape, at 3 weeks i'd more concerned about the heat exchanger.
I have a pair of welding gloves by the stove so i'll do the heat exchanger without shutting down, don't think i'd ask others to do it thou.
You've already convinced the neighbor to haul a 40 lbs bag, a quick scrape of the pot should be a breeze to add to the list.

I do 3-4 days on a pot scrape, at 3 weeks i'd more concerned about the heat exchanger.
I have a pair of welding gloves by the stove so i'll do the heat exchanger without shutting down, don't think i'd ask others to do it thou.
You've already convinced the neighbor to haul a 40 lbs bag, a quick scrape of the pot should be a breeze to add to the list.
Good point, he burns with wood, so the idea of only needing to tend to it once a day or so is something he is kinda excited about. He was going to come over in the morning before work, once he got home, and before bed. But i told him that with the temps we are expecting, i dont expect to go through more than a bag a day. Even if I burn a whole bag and the stove shuts down 20 hours in, I can afford the half gallon of oil to cover the rest of the day.
Going for 3 days now I can see what this speed bump is. The Pellets I have now are fairly ashy, so it builds up quick. But after the initial build up, it seems to not really get any wirse(in the 3 days I have been trying this)

Thanks for the input and experience everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.