Harman Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have thought that the ESP would have to have been pretty cruddy to affect temperature.
I have seen some pictures of 1/2" crud on some.........but,
if u end up getting better mileage after cleaning, then you convinced me to Actually remove it once in a while ass opposed to brushing it.
Well it's early yet, as I said the outdoor temp is not real low. But ya it seems to be gobbling a few less pellets. Now your brush is more efficient than mine, I just use a soft paint brush, so who knows how long that back side crud was on there. The thing is it was kind of tacky crud, sticky. So I used some glass cleaner soaked in a paper towel this time.

in Room auto/ or manual, the temp is dictated by the probe wire,
but does the ESP in the exhaust tunnel come into play at all in room mode or is it
exclusive to Stove temp mode...?
reason I asked is haven't cleaned it in a while but I never use stove temp anyways.
seems to eat up the pellets quicker.
I have a harman too but I'm a newbie. What's an esp

Well it's early yet, as I said the outdoor temp is not real low. But ya it seems to be gobbling a few less pellets. Now your brush is more efficient than mine, I just use a soft paint brush, so who knows how long that back side crud was on there. The thing is it was kind of tacky crud, sticky. So I used some glass cleaner soaked in a paper towel this time.
BTW:
i Was at my dealers store today. he has every Harman free standing and Insert made.
BE VERY VERY HAPPY that you have the free standind P series stove..
I could not believe how Small some of the Ash pans are in some of the most popular stoves..XXV was one of them I think or might have been some of the Inserts.
I would be emptying it out every other day...can understand some owners trying to get the lowest ash pellets possible. I would too if my pan was that small.

Last edited:
BTW:
i Was at my dealers store today. he has every Harman free standing and Insert made.
BE VERY VERY HAPPY that you have the free standind P series stove..
I could not believe how Small some of the Ash pans are in some of the most popular stoves..XXV was one of them I think or might have been some of the Inserts.
I would be emptying it out every other day...can understand some owners trying to get the lowest ash pellets possible. I would too if my pan was that small.
I checked out all of that before I bought the P61 last year. The ash pan was a perk but I was coming from coal where you empty the pan twice a day so it wasn't the major selling point of a P series stove. I think the final seal of approval was the ease of cleaning the stove overall.. And the P61 for some extra horse power. We came real close to buying the P52i actually. The other option early in selecting a stove was a St Croix. 4 stoves were in early contention to replace our coal stove. St Croix Prescott, Harmon XXV, Harman 52i and at the end but a quick win over was the P series. I really wanted to like a couple of the St Croix stoves but Harman had them beat in a few ways once the dealer got into them a bit with us. Then we tossed around the P61 vs P68 idea and vacillated back to the insert, back to the P61. One day i had to take another trip to the store just because sort of thing. The owner and sales staff had gone to a show someplace and the installer was holding down the fort. He went through the cleaning on an insert and the cleaning on a P.. You got to be kidding me I thought, night and day difference.

Last edited:
I checked out all of that before I bought the P61 last year. The ash pan was a perk but I was coming from coal where you empty the pan twice a day so it wasn't the major selling point of a P series stove. I think the final seal of approval was the ease of cleaning the stove overall.. And the P61 for some extra horse power. We came real close to buying the P52i actually. The other option early in selecting a stove was a St Croix. 4 stoves were in early contention to replace our coal stove. St Croix Prescott, Harmon XXV, Harman 52i and at the end but a quick win over was the P series. I really wanted to like a couple of the St Croix stoves but Harman had them beat in a few ways once the dealer got into them a bit with us. Then we tossed around the P61 vs P68 idea and vacillated back to the insert, back to the P61. One day i had to take another trip to the store just because sort of thing. The owner and sales staff had gone to a show someplace and the installer was holding down the fort. He went through the cleaning on an insert and the cleaning on a P.. You got to be kidding me I thought, night and day difference.
I know.
did a few youtube videos on cleaning Inserts...my feeling was the same....deffinitly No Set it/Forget it there.

Reactions: alternativeheat
If I remember it is a 1/8 inch. I seen them where the screw had deteriorated and would just turn and not come out. If you can reach in with a small screw driver and apply a little pressure between the esp bracket while you are turning the screw it will come out. I took it to the store and got a SS one and it lasted until I sold the stove.
Really good rust and corrosion buster if you can find it: Kroil. Expensive but it works.

Welcome. I have an XXV. I could go 3 to 5 weeks without having to empty the ash pan. I never do as I clean mine unit every 2 weeks. Enjoy your new stove. You will get many years out of your Harman.

Welcome. I have an XXV. I could go 3 to 5 weeks without having to empty the ash pan. I never do as I clean mine unit every 2 weeks. Enjoy your new stove. You will get many years out of your Harman.
wasn't sure which harmans I was looking at..I looked at so many..

You're burning good pellets.

I have a harman too but I'm a newbie. What's an esp

Welcome Harman Newbie. Love my Harman. The St. Croix is good and not too horrible to clean, but if I had gotten the chance to pick up another Harman for the main floor, I would have in a heart beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.