Harman room sensor placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CtPaul

Burning Hunk
Sep 16, 2011
CT
I just moved my room sensor back under the side of the stove (where distribution fan intakes). I had previously moved it up on the wall before. By installing the OAK and block off plate I eliminated the the cold draft coming out of the back of the fireplace.
I was wondering where everyone else is doing

In the pic to the right I have it built into the hearth about 2/3 up on the left side. is out of the draft and insulated from the outside wall. Seems to work well except that there is a 4 degree offset. If I set the stove at 72 then let the room stabilize and use a digital thermometer at the probe I read actual temp of 76. This could be due to the programable Tstat i have wired in series. Not an issue as long as you know what you are getting.

I think I will end up moving it up on the wall again. Maybe getting it out of the draft will stabilize the readings. Now that I have an infared themometer I might play around with it.

Thermo.jpg
My temperature sensor Is on the plug wire of the light that Is lit.I ran It under the floor 20 feet away from the stove
Stove set at 70 deg. and the room temp. will stay at 70 deg.+ or - 2

Keep 2 things in mind. 1) you want the sensor to be getting a consistent reading. You don't want drafts from outside affecting the readings so next to a window, for example, is a poor choice. 2) Don't drive yerself nuts trying to match the setting on your stove with the temp on whatever you're getting your actual room reading from. My stove is set to 66-67 and I get my desired target temp of 70. If I needed to set the stove to 80 to get 70, I couldn't care less. It's all about the actual temp in the room.

I just let mine lay on the floor beside the stove. I couldn't care less about the room temp matching the reading on the stove. I just set the stove dial where ever I have to to get the room to the temp I want.

Yeah I never went crazy trying to get the temp to match. But it was hard to get it consistent with the outside temperature changes. I'm hoping the insulated block off plate helps with that!
Thanks for the input. Initially I was happy to get heat out of the stove but now I'm trying to tweak my install and tighten my house. The more info I get the more I must tinker :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.