Harman Room Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoaf88

Oct 19, 2009
RI
I have been running my P61 in stove temp because I thought it was just easier.

I noticed I was going through a lot of pellets even just running on stove temp 2.

I read that room temp is more efficient so I got the thermostat probe out and hooked it up.

All I can say is wow I wish I hooked this thing up a month ago.

It was always either too hot or too cold before.

Now Ive got a temp of 77 where the stove is and 72 on the second floor where the bedrooms are.

It has stayed this exact temp for 12 hours.

No more messing with the stove settings. Love it!

I love room temp. Now I need to figure out how to move the thermostat further away from the stove - is there an app for that? ;)

I'm a "Stove Temp" guy all the way. I keep the feed rate at 4 and the stove temp at 75 and let her rip. I used to try and force the "room temp" thing because in my mind it was an "additional option" (even though it comes standard) that I paid for, hence I did not want to waste it. But, over time, I found that this is what works for me. I guess that's why they make both Fords and Chevys.

Reactions: will711
I'm a "Stove Temp" guy all the way. I keep the feed rate at 4 and the stove temp at 75 and let her rip. I used to try and force the "room temp" thing because in my mind it was an "additional option" (even though it comes standard) that I paid for, hence I did not want to waste it. But, over time, I found that this is what works for me. I guess that's why they make both Fords and Chevys.

You also get free pellets, that does not hurt. :p

I was a stove temp guy for 15 years with my first stove. Just figured that was the way to run it. I tried Room Temp with my new stove right after I got it and haven't turned back. I have found I use at least 20% less pellets in RT mode.

You also get free pellets, that does not hurt

You are one of many, many people who have said that to me......Another common misconception.o_O

I run room temp until the outside temps get to the low 20s & below & then I run at stove temp. Keeps the heat more even. The room with the P61A is on a slab in a walk out basement that has northern exposure & we're on the South shore of the lake. We're in a sort of valley with the higher elevations to the East of us. The prevailing winds come from the West, but when they hit that escarpment, they take right & hit us right in the face. In the dead of winter, those winds blow across a big ole icecube & that slab gets pretty cold. Room temp gets that slab warm & keeps it that way...

I was a stove temp guy for 15 years with my first stove. Just figured that was the way to run it. I tried Room Temp with my new stove right after I got it and haven't turned back. I have found I use at least 20% less pellets in RT mode.

Yea I noticed that I was using a bag and a half a day for the past few weeks and the temps have not been much colder than 30ish.

This was a lot more than i have used in previous years with different stoves.

We will see but I am hoping to use 20 percent fewer pellets as well.

Already it seems the auger is running a lot less.

Room temp manual.

Reactions: MacP
I noticed I was going through a lot of pellets even just running on stove temp 2.

You do realize that in stove temp, the stove will just run forever at the temp you set, no consideration for inside temp, outside temp, or anything else. What you set is what you get. If it was hot, why didn't you turn it down?

+1 Basically what I do , tried room temp a few times Freaked the wife out why are the flames sooo high!!! It ramps up and slows down . I like slow and steady works for me I burn 1 bag a day house nice an toasty.

You do realize that in stove temp, the stove will just run forever at the temp you set, no consideration for inside temp, outside temp, or anything else. What you set is what you get. If it was hot, why didn't you turn it down?

I think he's seen the light... :p

Stove temp is like living in the 1980's.
Room temp with Harman's probe is like living in the 1990's
Going aftermarket and using a real thermostat squeeks us into the 2000's
Heaven forbid that Harman should provide a wireless thermostat to benefit from their "room temp" logic and allow it to modulate the flame based on heat load and room temperature...someday... Would make a great product outstanding, IMO...

For now we are forced to figure out where to stick the probe...ouch. :eek:

Reactions: MacP and SteveB
You are one of many, many people who have said that to me......Another common misconception.o_O

I'm just reading your sig - taking home the broken/damaged bags to burn. In past retail experience damages get written off...aka free...?

I'm just reading your sig - taking home the broken/damaged bags to burn. In past retail experience damages get written off...aka free...?
Well....., sort of. Damaged or not, I still pay for them. And believe it or not, what I pay for them ain't all that much less than what the customers pay. But, some of the brands I carry I like to see break better than others;)

Reactions: will711
Well....., sort of. Damaged or not, I still pay for them. And believe it or not, what I pay for them ain't all that much less than what the customers pay. But, some of the brands I carry I like to see break better than others;)

When you do your books you take them as a loss though correct? Not to beat a dead horse but it is very different than the way most of us get our pellets.

I like the steadiness of room temp manual. Temp in room pretty much stays constant regardless of outside temps.

Room temp auto in the shoulders with a 3 degree swing and room temp manual in the winter. Right now it seems to be between shoulder and winter though. Depends on the day.

When it's really cold out, I'll take stove temp when I'm home, room temp manual when I'm away or in bed. As Daksy said, stove temp when it's cold is a much more even heat than room temp.

For me, room temp and I love it. Set it and forget it.

I love room temp. Now I need to figure out how to move the thermostat further away from the stove - is there an app for that? ;)
I have ended up taping the probe to the wall about 2 ft up from the floor. THe room got way too hot for both me and the dog with the probe near the floor. Now I;m warm, and it's a few degrees cooler for him with the air flow

I tried stove temp a time or two but stove and house seem happier with room temp manual as long as the temps stay below 30. With 1500 sq/ft of slab being heated in the basement I still need some heated air to heat the upstairs.

When you do your books you take them as a loss though correct? Not to beat a dead horse but it is very different than the way most of us get our pellets.
A loss that is written off allows you to break even for what you paid but does not take into account a loss for margin (profit) or overhead paid $10 for stock and I add $2.30 for overhead plus 30 margin (12.30 / .7) = $17.57 sell price but if I have to write off a portion of that ....my overhead actually increases not to mention potential red flags to the IRS. Every cent you "write off" is actual profit you are losing...it may very well cost a company 125% of their profit to "write off" something and at that point you would be better off absorbing the loss as an overall loss in profit or increased overhead...commonly known as the cost of doing business.....oh and I like room temp.;)

We need an engineer to develop a wireless probe sensor and a receiving unit that will allow a proper setback and multiple programs for each day of the week.

That being said room temp on the warmer days and stove temp when it's 25 or less out.

Status
Not open for further replies.