Harman Room Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need an engineer to develop a wireless probe sensor and a receiving unit that will allow a proper setback and multiple programs for each day of the week.

That being said room temp on the warmer days and stove temp when it's 25 or less out.
Working on it!

Reactions: SteveB
It is 24 degrees at my house right now.

Stove set at room temp and my digital thermostats are still reading 78 first floor and 73 second floor.

Why would i ever change to stove temp?

If I had it on stove temp and fell asleep the temp would drop a bunch.

If it was warmer outside it would probably be too hot.

Now I can just set it and forget it.

Temps stay even at all times no matter what temp it is outside.

It seems pretty accurate as well. Got the probe about 4 feet above and behind the stove.

Stove is set just above 75 on the dial.

Reactions: mepellet
You do realize that in stove temp, the stove will just run forever at the temp you set, no consideration for inside temp, outside temp, or anything else. What you set is what you get. If it was hot, why didn't you turn it down?

Yes you are correct! That is why I like room temp so much more.

No more having to mess with the dial all the time.

Oh its warm out today turn the stove on 1. How cold will it be tonight? Should we run the stove on 2 or 3? Check the weather bla bla.....

Room temp rules!

We need an engineer to develop a wireless probe sensor and a receiving unit that will allow a proper setback and multiple programs for each day of the week.
Already done! Skytech 3301P. Wireless temperature sensor that talks to the receiver that you wire in series with the existing harman room temp sensor and it is a true 7 day programmable thermostat (not 5/2). with 4 programs for each day. One of the best investments I have made. Well besides the stove! :)

EDIT: check lbcynya's sig for a link to his wonderful explanation and hookup instructions. Also, check out his other link if you havne't already. It's a must read for any new Harman pellet stove owner.

Even at -35 using the patented lbcynya's method as mentioned above, I find my pellet savings are significant using automatic vs manual mode.

I have no science or magical numbers, but I ran a week on manual and a week on auto (Outside temps have been constant -20 to -30s) and with auto I was using up to half a bag less daily. When it's this cold I been using 2-3 bags a day, I usually top off with 5 gallon buckets (Half a bags worth), so I can estimate my usage fairly accurately.

I realize I can save wear and tear on the igniter but that's a whole nother story.

So if I get a savings of 1/4bag(I don't live in a ammonia based refrigeration unit like Moe)a day x 120 heating days x 3.50 a bag I could save $105 bucks per season+-

Already done! Skytech 3301P. Wireless temperature sensor that talks to the receiver that you wire in series with the existing harman room temp sensor and it is a true 7 day programmable thermostat (not 5/2). with 4 programs for each day. One of the best investments I have made. Well besides the stove! :)

EDIT: check lbcynya's sig for a link to his wonderful explanation and hookup instructions. Also, check out his other link if you havne't already. It's a must read for any new Harman pellet stove owner.

I am talking about a true set back for Harman that will not give you a 4 blink error code. See this post for the solution; https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...d-when-using-a-thermostat.79520/#post-1014240

So if I get a savings of 1/4bag(I don't live in a ammonia based refrigeration unit like Moe)a day x 120 heating days x 3.50 a bag I could save $105 bucks per season+-

Right but my savings currently are at peak pellet usage, that means the savings during off peak usage are that much more,
Just less noticable because of less usage.

Moe, your payback is alot faster because of your higher use and cost of pellets. I may have the coldest weather since last February with single digit highs coming monday. Would like to use a setback but don't want to risk the board after reading various posts. Will just have to go down and turn up and down as needed. I can bump the heat in my main living space in ten minutes or so if needed with an electric decreative fireplace and the big screen shoves in another 350 watts of heat. About the time it takes me to finish my first cup of coffee. Its been years since we have had cold as low as your talking about. Makes the car dealers and auto parts stores here happy as dead batteries and tired cars fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.