Harman squeal started then went away on its own.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Been running the stove in room temp manual and with the convection fan on low. Last time I did a stove cleaning (including fines box vacuum) was about 2 weeks ago. I have burned about 15 bags since then. Last time I did the vent cleaning was about 30 bags ago.

Turned the stove off for the day on the way out for work since the temp was forecast to be in the upper 30s and that way I could give the glass a decent cleaning when I got home.

Got home and cleaned the glass and gave the burn pot a good scrape. I then turned it on and let it crank. Within the first minute I heard "THE SQUEAL" :eek: it was squealing just after you could hear the pellets dropping into the auger. About 20 minutes later the squeal is gone.

So.... What do you think it was? Stove has burned about 3.5 tons since it was installed a year and a half ago new.

I have my ideas about what it is from reading other posts but just wanted to throw it out there to see what others thought. I didn't see any posts mention the squeal going away on its own.

My guess, you might have knocked some carbon back into the auger tube and that got wedged between the flights on the screw until it wore away...

I'm pretty anal about taking a "mechanics pry bar" to my burn pot once a week, then vacuuming out the crud. I can't imagine the buildup inside the pots of those that think a quick scrape with the Harman tool is sufficient.

^ ditto

I think you need to empty your fines box again and add a little lube to the bearings/bushings inside.

My guess, you might have knocked some carbon back into the auger tube and that got wedged between the flights on the screw until it wore away...

I'm pretty anal about taking a "mechanics pry bar" to my burn pot once a week, then vacuuming out the crud. I can't imagine the buildup inside the pots of those that think a quick scrape with the Harman tool is sufficient.

It might be a chunk that got into the auger during scraping. I really go to town with the harman scraper to get as much as possible. I find that keeping on top of it by scraping twice a day that it keeps the carbon buildup to a minimum. I use a screwdriver during my "weekly" cleanings and get it real clean. I am real anal during the weekly cleanings a on the burnpot cleaning.

I think you need to empty your fines box again and add a little lube to the bearings/bushings inside.
I don't think this is the issue. I believe it is carbon buildup related. If it was the fines box which I clean out every two weeks why would it have stopped after 20 minutes?

I think it has a better shot of going away in 20 minutes than it would if it were carbon build up/auger issue. One man's opinion. I have personally never had an auger squeek in 13 or so years in my Harman, even though I am far less than diligent chipping away that area. But I have had the fines box squeek issue quite a few times, usually due to it being too full, but not always. Sometimes it needed a dab of lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.