Harman Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clkeever

Aug 8, 2006
www.usedwoodburners.com
I posted several days ago and didn't get any responses: Does anyone have experience with the Harman Exception stove? I'm in the process of removing a Lopi Liberty and putting in the Exception. I'm curious about burn times and just overall experiences with the Harman freestanding line of stoves.
thanks
chad

Most harman owners here own coal or pellet stoves. Why the switch?

I'm quoting myself from another thread about Harman stoves.

The Harman afterburner technology (and Vermont Castings everburn) is quite advanced and able to deliver really sweet performance for a non-cat stove. I think you will be very happy with the unit and I look foward to hearing your review and seeing pictures of the installation.

If you have any questions on installation, operation, etc I hope we can help you answer them

Harman stoves are very high quality and we hear very sparse, if any, complaints regarding the harman wood burning lineup. Whether that is because few people own the stoves, or because the stoves are really that good, is hard for me to say.

Dido what Corie said,
I like the looks of the Harman Oakwood with the grill/rotisserie option! If only they made a soapstone model.

thanks for the info guys: I decided to switch due to the fact that the Lopi seems so much more messy when cleaning out hot ash ect. vs the ashpan: I read some post regarding ashpans and don't exactly know what to expect but I"m hoping the mess is less with a pan. My Liberty could heat 2500 sq ft but the Harman is rated for 2800. Anyway, we'll see come fall/winter.
thanks guys
ck

I think after a very short adjustment period, you'll love the exception. We sell them, never hear anything back, and in the stove business, thats good. I did have one once that was overheated tho....the casting thich hold the brick in was returned after 2 years- totally flaky, deformed, and a bright brick red! Uh....did you ever overheat the stove sir? What?! Me?! Never! Harman covered it under warrantee...wow.

In looking at the stats, those two stoves, Lopi Liberty and Harmon exception seem very comparable. I'd be sort of surprised if the exception outperforms the Lopi enough to make a big difference if any at all. The Lopi is a very large stove. If you want to find one bigger,have you also looked at the PE Summit or the Osburn 2400? Those are both very large. Beyond that, it's into the Masonry heater territory. I've seen (but not in action) both the Liberty and the Exception, and I must say the Harmon seems to have the edge on user friendly. Huge ash pan, and a built in blower, plus the Harmon's look is a bit more up scale. I can't put my finger on it, but the Liberty tends to look more like just a big steel box. I know they both sort of are, but the Harmon seems to have less of that look. Both are very solid though at well over 400 lbs each.

usedlopiguy said:
I read some post regarding ashpans and don't exactly know what to expect but I"m hoping the mess is less with a pan. My Liberty could heat 2500 sq ft but the Harman is rated for 2800. Anyway, we'll see come fall/winter.
thanks guys
ck

You will need to clean the firebox up a bit however, most of the ashes should find there way into the ash pan. Just keep one thing in mind. When Harman talks about a 2800 sq. ft. coverage this is with their OPTIONAL blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.