Harman XXV Auger Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flyer302

Dec 17, 2022
Tehachapi,CA
We have an early model XXV we bought in 2007. Other than replacing an igniter 3 years ago it has worked great. I was getting a banging noise a couple of weeks ago and it turned out the auger bearing had gone south. While removing the old auger I found that the receiver nuts for the auger retainer fell out. They were not welded in place as I understand they now are. The one on the right side was easy to retrieve but the one on the left was not. The holes for the nuts are slightly oversized and I was afraid while reinstalling the auger retainer I'd push them back out. To avoid this I put a bit of plumbers putty on the interior flanges of the nut and used clothespins to hold the nuts in place. The bolts are long enough to hand start them then remove the clothes pins to complete tightening. If I ever need to do this again I'll remember to just break the bolts loose and pull them toward me to keep the receiver nuts in place. stove.jpg

We have an early model XXV we bought in 2007. Other than replacing an igniter 3 years ago it has worked great. I was getting a banging noise a couple of weeks ago and it turned out the auger bearing had gone south. While removing the old auger I found that the receiver nuts for the auger retainer fell out. They were not welded in place as I understand they now are. The one on the right side was easy to retrieve but the one on the left was not. The holes for the nuts are slightly oversized and I was afraid while reinstalling the auger retainer I'd push them back out. To avoid this I put a bit of plumbers putty on the interior flanges of the nut and used clothespins to hold the nuts in place. The bolts are long enough to hand start them then remove the clothes pins to complete tightening. If I ever need to do this again I'll remember to just break the bolts loose and pull them toward me to keep the receiver nuts in place.View attachment 306213
I have an Accentra Insert, purchased the same year as yours and I recently had to remove the auger and I had the same issue with the nut on the left. For some strange reason, someone at the factory when the stove was made, had put some silicon on the back of the nut on the right so that one stays put once you remove the bolt. Why they didn't put any on the left is beyond me. All I did with the nut on the left was add a dab of silicon around the area where you have your clothspin. Once it dries I doubt that you'll have to worry about it dropping out. As you now know, when that nut does drop out, it's a real pain to put back in due to the tight clearences working arround the housing and the cam feed shaft. If you try the silicon fix, just give that area a quick cleaning to remove any dust to get good adhearence of the silcon.

Reactions: Flyer302