Round Oak restoration project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Txtiger

Feb 9, 2024
Southeast Oklahoma
For a little context, I'm completely new at restoring vintage wood stoves. That being said, I purchased a Round Oak Double Burner and am in the process of restoring it. I'm missing a few pieces, but once it's back together it will be functional until Iacquirethe missing pieces. I've got everything apart except separating the fire box from the ash base. It appears to be attached with 3 studs, or rivets. At first I thought there were nuts securing the firebox to the base with threaded studs, but I now believe those (nuts) are part of the casting after removing the rust., and there are no threads. I've got most of the stove putty out from where they join, but now need some advice on removing the firebox from the ash base. I can cut the stud, drill it out, and replace them with bolts and nuts.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Why do you need to remove it from the base? This isn’t vintage, it is antique. There are a few sites such as Ed Semmelwroth at Antiquestoves. com and the Stove Hospital in RI.

Have you searched the Coalpail Forum using keywords?

I don’t think there is anything online for rebuilding, but there is a museum in Dowagiac Mich where these were made.

Why do you need to remove it from the base? This isn’t vintage, it is antique. There are a few sites such as Ed Semmelwroth at Antiquestoves. com and the Stove Hospital in RI.

I don’t think there is anything online for rebuilding, but there is a museum in Dowagiac Mich where these were made.

Are you shure they are bolts and not just stud like to re-assemble the stove's parts a the correct places ? If you have some photos showing the stove and the parts it could help to help you.

Thanks Coaly. I have looked at the Round Oak museum and identified mine as a SB 18 T 2. I haven't seen any other T2's, but there are several pictures of T3's, so I'm basing its ultimate appearance from those pictures, unless I can a T2 picture.
I want to separate it because there is a crack in the base that goes under the firebox. And it needs wire brushing in there, and all the old putty removed. It is also not level. It's right on left to right, but about 1/4 inch low at te back.
Thanks again.

Are you shure they are bolts and not just stud like to re-assemble the stove's parts a the correct places ? If you have some photos showing the stove and the parts it could help to help you.
Thanks nortcan. I'm pretty sure they are not bolts, but what you've described. I have attached a couple of pictures. The nut looking objects are part of the casting, as is the stud that goes into it. One stud is flush with the nut, one is slightly recessed, and the low side is through about 1/8" or so. The 1st 2 pictures show what I thought were nuts, but after removing the rust they they appear to be part of the casting. The 3rd picture is looking in the firebox, the studs are difficult to see because I hadn't removed rust yet. But they are clearly flush with the casting, and part of it. The last picture is the what I'm trying to separate.
Thanks again.

20240123_144130.jpg 20240123_144142.jpg 20240122_165709.jpg 20240122_162426.jpg

Thanks nortcan. I'm pretty sure they are not bolts, but what you've described. I have attached a couple of pictures. The nut looking objects are part of the casting, as is the stud that goes into it. One stud is flush with the nut, one is slightly recessed, and the low side is through about 1/8" or so. The 1st 2 pictures show what I thought were nuts, but after removing the rust they they appear to be part of the casting. The 3rd picture is looking in the firebox, the studs are difficult to see because I hadn't removed rust yet. But they are clearly flush with the casting, and part of it. The last picture is the what I'm trying to separate.
Thanks again.

View attachment 324580 View attachment 324581 View attachment 324582 View attachment 324583
Thanks for taking time to send photos. Did you turn the fire pot over to see if you can find some bolt heads ? If you see bolt heads, bring it back like on your last photo and cut the heads with an angled cutting hand grinder, use a punch and hammer to get the bolts out. If not possible from the top side, try from under the base. Good luck and keep us informed of the suite...We like photos. It's always good to mark where parts were before dis-assembly or take a few photos.

OOPS, I forgot to ask you : do you want to seperate the fire pot from the base to completly restore ot and make a new seal between bot parts?

Whenever I've done any type of restoration I like to completely disassemble for a complete restoration. I also want a new seal. Since my original post I've been able to pick, chisel and pry 95% of the old putty out. There are nut looking (but not nuts) pieces between the ash box and firebox which are part of the ash box casting, like the ones on the underside in the pictures.
So after looking at it, I think I can clean up the joining area and get new putty in there, and repair the crack from the inside without separating it. So that's what I will try. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: nortcan