Harman XXV: normal or weak blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
Hello everybody. I am a new Harmon XXV owner and have been running this stove for about 6 months now. Actually this is my very first pellet stove.

Everything has been working out okay but I have a question about the blower strength. I have the blower on full blast in room temperature mode and the feed rate is set to 4. With those settings and after the stove has warmed up, I can barely feel the air forced out from blower at seven or eight feet away. Is this normal or should I feel the blower from a farther distance? For the Harmon XXV owners how far away can you feel the hot air blowing on you?

Last edited:
I don't own an XXV but the shop where I bought my P61 from had a repaired one on display . I went in there one time when they had it cranked up and it put up a stream of air well out into the middle of the sizable showroom. Now again , they happened to have had it cranked up so it had a big flame going etc. But the fan is surprisingly quiet.

I don't own an XXV but the shop where I bought my P61 from had a repaired one on display . I went in there one time when they had it cranked up and it put up a stream of air well out into the middle of the sizable showroom. Now again , they happened to have had it cranked up so it had a big flame going etc. But the fan is surprisingly quiet.
Well I believe my stove is also crank up as high as it can be. The room temperature knob is all the way turned as far as it can go. The actual temperature adjustment knob has been set at 75 degrees and I have experimented by turning the temperature to the highest position. But the temperature adjustment knob does not affect the blower motor.

I assume you mean the fan is set at full speed and the room temp dial at 75. And you said the feed rate was 4. The stove should be kicking out some pretty noticeable heat at those settings. It is a mostly convection stove with some radiating heat, if the convection fan is not pushing hard enough I imagine there would be less than satisfactory heat presence in the house in cold weather .

My P61 fan output is probably most noticeable within 8 ft or so of the stove though and yet plant leaves will be moving about way across the room. On high it does a pretty good job of circulating heat throughout the house. A P series stove though also radiates a fair amount of heat and I'm pretty sure the convection CFM is actually a bit less on my P61 than your XXV. About the best I can tell you at the moment, maybe some XXV owners will chime in !

Your XXV may have a HI and LOW speed switch depending on model year. Swing open control panel and look towards inner panel for rocket switch. Our XXV would throw out plenty of air flow on high setting and room temp setting in the middle. All the way to the right generated too much flow and noise for us.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I assume you mean the fan is set at full speed and the room temp dial at 75. And you said the feed rate was 4. The stove should be kicking out some pretty noticeable heat at those settings. It is a mostly convection stove with some radiating heat, if the convection fan is not pushing hard enough I imagine there would be less than satisfactory heat presence in the house in cold weather .

My P61 fan output is probably most noticeable within 8 ft or so of the stove though and yet plant leaves will be moving about way across the room. on high it does a pretty good job of circulating heat throughout the house. A P series stove though also radiates a fair amount of heat and I'm pretty sure the convection CFM is actually a bit less on my P61 than your XXV. About the best I can tell you at the moment, maybe some XXV owners will chime in !

Your XXV may have a HI and LOW speed switch depending on model year. Swing open control panel and look towards inner panel for rocket switch. Our XXV would throw out plenty of air flow on high setting and room temp setting in the middle. All the way to the right generated too much flow and noise for us.
Our Harman XXV was purchased in July 2015 brand new. The only rocker switch on the control panel is the igniter switch which switches from manual to auto igniter.

Last edited:
Our Harman XXV was purchased in July 2014 brand new. The only rocker switch on the control panel is the igniter switch which switches from manual to auto igniter.

Not actually on the control panel, but inside the recessed area where the control panel folds into - mine has a "HI-LO" rocker switch.

Since I've previously had some blower issues, I've established a reference point for myself for "good" fan strength, which is when I can feel a definite breeze from the blower when standing about 6 feet away.

If the HI-LO switch isn't the culprit, next possibility is a dead spot on your fan control knob - give the knob a bunch of full swipes while in operation to ensure good contact.

If that doesn't help, then I recommend dropping the blower assembly out (after shutting down & unplugging, of course) and cleaning out all the nooks & crannies. Also check connections while you're at it, since you'll have to unplug it to remove it. Having the blower at the underside of the unit is a flaw, I think, since it pulls up all the dust and animal fur.

That's the extent of my knowledge - good luck.

Not actually on the control panel, but inside the recessed area where the control panel folds into - mine has a "HI-LO" rocker switch.

Since I've previously had some blower issues, I've established a reference point for myself for "good" fan strength, which is when I can feel a definite breeze from the blower when standing about 6 feet away.

If the HI-LO switch isn't the culprit, next possibility is a dead spot on your fan control knob - give the knob a bunch of full swipes while in operation to ensure good contact.

If that doesn't help, then I recommend dropping the blower assembly out (after shutting down & unplugging, of course) and cleaning out all the nooks & crannies. Also check connections while you're at it, since you'll have to unplug it to remove it. Having the blower at the underside of the unit is a flaw, I think, since it pulls up all the dust and animal fur.

Thanks for the reply I will look for the rocker switch in the recessed area. By the way, this fan or should I say blower has been the same strength since the day I bought it. So I don't want to imply that the performance has decreased since I've owned it.

Thanks for the reply I will look for the rocker switch in the recessed area. By the way, this fan or should I say blower has been the same strength since the day I bought it. So I don't want to imply that the performance has decreased since I've owned it.
That's a negative on the high-low rocker switch within the recessed area where the control box resides.

Correction stove was purchased July 2015 brand new

Mine is about the same. My wife and daughter place a side chair within 5-6 feet of the stove when they are really cold and sit in the air stream. Beyond 6-8 feet, they feel some warm air but not enough to make them happy.

I suspect you will feel the air currents much more when the room is cooler then when the stove has almost met the room temp setting. Either way, I never sit that close to our stove, it's too hot for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.