Harman XXV or P43? First Timer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LongPond88

Mar 12, 2014
Maine
Looking to invest in a pellet stove as main heat source in a recently purchased home up here in good old long wintered Maine. I have always had a woodstove as main heat source and would love stick with it but with my job the time just isn't there. Tight older home with upgraded windows and have already layed an extra layer of R30 in the attic over old blown in insulation. Have been doing a ton of research and have it narrowed down to either the Harman XXV or P43. 1500 sqft 2 story home. Stove would be located on first floor 28'x28'. Will put in vents to the upstairs for air flow.

#1) I know the XXV has more BTU's, quieter, better looking etc. All around better stove but for the price I am wondering if the P43 would get the job done? Looks are nice but not so important to me. Also wondering since the P43 is small will I go through more pellets? I'm not the type person that has to have the whole house at 72 at all times. When its 0 outside and 65 downstairs and 60 upstairs, thats not bad at all. So would the XXV be worth the extra $1000? Any Mainers heat their whole house with a P43?

#2) Where's the best place for this thing? I am going to try it first in the existing fire place in the living room located in the center of the house. I am worried about it blowing towards the outside of the house rather than towards the middle for better air flow. Not going with an insert so I can move it to an outside wall in the future if it doesn't quite get the job done and put a woodstove in the fireplace for those sub zero nights. I have attached a diagram with the only location options.

Any and all info is welcomed

Wicked slick site I used for the pic below if anyone was wondering: http://www.homestyler.com/designer
ps this site has been awesome to browse for info
Russ Layout.jpg

Looks like position B would be the best spot. And you'd be blowing the hot air into interior rooms, rather than an exterior wall.

As for the p43 or XXV, it's whatever you like. One is rated at 43K the other 50K BTUs. Given your location I would be more inclined to go with a higher output unit, so you have the capacity on those colder days. What about the p61...another user here was debating the XXV v P61

I know the P61 wouldn't be a bad choice but had gathered that the XXV should be enough for the small house. Also seems like a lot of folks think the P61 is loud and really eats the pellets up. I think if I am going to spend the extra money the XXV is kinda the best of all worlds. Thanks for your input on the positioning. I had a feeling that was the best bet but didn't want to believe it because it would look cleaner and take up less space in the fire place. That entire wall faces the driveway so wouldn't look great on the outside. But I would rather be warm than look good.

I live in central maine and Love my XXV I have a P68 in my business but when i went to see Rocky at Rockys Stove Shop decided on the theXXV it has heated my 3 bedroom loghome just fine! actually with ease and you know the winter weve had! tell him what your doing how big and he will not do you wrong! A friend bought elsewhere and is sorry he did ! Good Luck

They will all use the same amount of pellets, to produce the same amount of heat (approx.).......If you need xxbtu's of heat........you have to burn xx lbs/hr of pellets. Doesn't matter if its in a P38 or a P61. as long as the maximum output exceeds your maximum demand.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Thanks for the info guys. DOLLARBILL, how many sqft is your cabin and is it 2 story? Heard good things about Rocky and will have to check him out. Norway/Paris area too far for him to travel for warranty work etc? Thanks again

I agree with position B. It gives both convection and radiant heat a shot at the rest of the house and upstairs too. I wouldn't be quick on the vents. Pellet stove convection fans push a lot of heat around. I was concerned about upstairs too(1800 sq ft with p61) and ended up running the stairway ceiling fan pushing down the stairway. Upstairs was fine for sleeping, even on the warm side actually, though my stove position has a fairly straight shot at the stairway.

I agree with position B, but would also consider E as well. The advantage of E would be that, you wouldn't hear it as much while watching TV. I think both would work fairly well at getting heat upstairs. I would certainly wait on the vents until you try the stove out. We don't use any vents in our house, and our XXV heats the upstairs without issue. You mentioned the house is tight, and that is the biggest factor to consider. We seem to be much better off than most, having only used 2.5 tons this year heating 1900 sq ft, but our house is pretty new and well insulated. We certainly could have gotten away with a P43, but that may not be the case for you. The P series are easier to clean and service, but the XXV is pretty easy already. The only thing I don't like about our XXV, is how quickly the glass gets dirty. From what I have seen, the P series glass seems to stay cleaner quite a bit longer. But the XXV is quieter. If you decide to keep it in the living room, I would definitely go with the XXV. And you are much better off buying too much stove, than too little.

B looks like your best by bet. Either stove I think will do it. The P series stoves are a little easier to clean.

I didn't comment on which stove earlier. I think either stove will work, both are rated over your sq ft. You will get more radiant heat from the P43 than from the XXV. The XXV is a pretty stove and quieter. Much depends on your preference of that radiant heat or not. When we bought our P61 I started thinking I didn't want the radiant factor but then the winter got cold enough to run my beat up old coal stove and I realized I really did want radiant heat as well. So the P series then came into play. I realized I needed to radiate some heat off the right side much as you have there. In our case the stairway is straight on but I feel the south side of the house mostly gets radiant heat, the north and upstairs the convection. I realize it all mixes but just saying the heavier percentage is as I said. The most even heat in the house is produce when it's cold out anyway, with the blower set on high fan speed.

Agree with position B. Either stove should be able to heat your place without a problem. I also agree with another post to hold off on the vents. I wanted to put floor vents in my place at first, but quickly found out that the heat does a good job of getting up the stairs without any help. Glad I didn't rush to cutting holes in my ceilings/floors. Here's a hint: hold a candle/cigarette lighter/match while standing on the stairwell. With the stove running you'll probably be able to see the flame "lean" towards upstairs indicating you're moving heat.

Position B looks good to me too. I live in northern Maine and I am heating my 1500 square foot, 2 story, loose older home with a P43 no problem. Stove is set at 70 degrees room temp manual. It's keeping the downstairs at 73 and upstairs is 67-69 depending on the outside temp. We are loving ours.

Thanks for the info guys. DOLLARBILL, how many sqft is your cabin and is it 2 story? Heard good things about Rocky and will have to check him out. Norway/Paris area too far for him to travel for warranty work etc? Thanks again
I have just shy of 2000sqft two stories upstairs are two bedrooms Id call Rockies first its usually his daughter that answers the questions and ask, Im sure he will work with you may cost a little extra but trust me it will be worth it his whole team are Pros last year he had a spring special I think if you bought your pellets then the delivery was free witha total cleaning I think all said and done they clean the stove stacked 4 ton of pellets and it cost me under 75 dollars ! just stacking them in my cellar was worth it ! Ohhh let me say this I do not work or am related to them just a Happy Customer

I like B or E since they can direct heat into adjoining rooms. I would select either one depending on the direction of prevailing winds.

i've always prefered the B position myself

that's my choice also

you do realise if you go with the XXV it's gonna cost you another additional 400 bucks cause once you see the sheer beauty of the enamel finish you're gonna have to spluge just a little more for that option;)

Thanks guys. This is exactly the info I was looking for. Gonna go see Rocky next week and see if he has either model fired up. The radiant heat of the P43 sounds good but the quietness of the XXV is a huge plus. I'm leaning towards the XXV when the time comes and fits in the budget, to be honest I haven't even moved into the house yet but was hoping for some spring deals. I do like the look of the enamel but for the price the old school cast iron looks just fine(unless she wants to open up her wallet).

One more questions about the stove pipe. Does it matter if it runs vertical inside or outside? Would think running it inside would give a little radiant heat. How much heat does the pipe give off? Thanks again in advance

Stove pipe will give off some heat, but I would think it's only a fraction of what the stove is putting out so it's probably negligible. Keep in mind if you put the vertical inside, the stove will be further from the wall and more into the room.

If it were me it would be B.
Either stove you choose should be fine to heat 1500 SF.

Thanks again for the info. Decided to save up for the XXV after more research and talking to a lady who has one. Going with the "go big or go home approach". DOLLARBILL- how many tons did you use this year? XXV prefer hardwood or softwood? The lady I talked to said she liked the hardwood in it a lot more but she only uses 1 ton a year as supplemental heat

Status
Not open for further replies.