Harman XXV JUNK distributor fan problem FIX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BGStG1aholic

Oct 16, 2012
I've had my beautiful XXV for 9 years now and have replaced everything replaceable EXCEPT for the auger at least once.

The POORLY designed distributor fan/motor places the motor right next to exhaust outlet which is a very high heat area which destroys the motor quickly. My last one only lasted 13 months. At $350 dollars a pop that's not acceptable for such a high end EXPENSIVE stove. Shame on you Harman!

I took the junk fan/motor out, kept the 2 back panels OFF and jimmyrigged a shroud behind the stove on the opposite side of the combustion motor using sheetmetal and a few old liscence plates and put a basic cheap box fan behind that. I started out with my Milwaukee 7" fan which worked well but I was worried about ruining it by running it 24/7 so I replaced it with a cheapo bigger box fan that will run for years and only costs like 20 bucks or so compared to the $350.- Harman fan that only lasts barely over a year. The air output from my jimmyrigged setup actually pus MORE air thru the stove to better distribute the heat into the room, I also put a small 6" fan on the combustion fan side on the rear of the stove to help out a bit.

Happy happy I finally found a solution to this problem that should not have existed in the first place.

edited to add.... ALL the Harman fan motors I kept replacing were not the cheap chineese replicas but were the SPENDY junk OEM real Harman parts

Love to see a pic of your set up! I just used the cheap knock off part and replaced my original dist motor. I expect it won't last. But the $350 part from the stove dealer, compared to $125 was hard to justify...

Thank you!! I got my replacement part working, but plan on rebuilding the old motor and keeping it handy for that day I need it. Appreciate you posting!

Reactions: ARC
I'd almost venture to say that the expensive OEM fans are just Chinese ones marked up. Just a speculation.

Mu Accentra is on its original fan. I think it's an 05 model.