Harman XXV / Partially Burned Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBURG

Dec 16, 2008
ALBANY, NY
Hoping someone can help.
Installed XXV in October 2008. Runs excellent.
past couple of weeks, off and on I've noticed partially burned pellets (charred black)
fall into the ash pan. Most recently - did a complete clean of the fire box Thursday.
Filled up the stove ran it all day Friday -all was well -
went to bed and 5 hours later woke up and the ash pan was full of partially burned pellets.
Lots of soot on the display window.
Settings:
room temp mode between 75-80
feed rate of 3
outside temp 10 degrees

any thoughts?
thanks

did this complete cleaning include under the burnpot and the combustion blower?
I still don't know why harman hasn't put up the cleaning guide on the website, it's been out for about 4 years..

Mine,new this fall as well,smokes up the window no matter what I set it at as long as I have run it.I do clean under the pot (and have had the combustion motor out (and I replaced it-they had a run of bad ones) and cleaned it as well.I do not get the partial burned pellets thou.

Stove temp (low to high)
feed at 3.5-4
outside -10 this morning

Thanks for the response.
I did clean out under the burn pot where the ignitor lines are.
I have not tampered with the combustion motor yet -
is that difficult? In between posts I contacted the dealer who indicated it might
be worth doing a clean on the vent pipe as well as pull the ESP sensor and clean that off.
Cleaning the vent pipe outside with the cleanout T looks like a peace of cake but not sure about the
ESP sensor - or even how to get to it. Again the problem is random. right now I am burning and all is
operating as it should....

Combustion motor was easy.
Unplug unit
Take off the left side(loolking from front) back cover.
lossen two wing nuts and lower long bolt (I think it was 7/16 could be wrong)

cut the wire tire so cord extends out and you can pull the motor assem out of unit to clean it.

I have cleaned that under pot several times as it fill with the fine ash and ignitor would not work well if I didn't.
Have not cleaned the vent pipe yet but mines a straight run out.Lots of smoke when it hit -25 yesterday morning thou !

did he have any suggestion on the smoke on window?I suspect its normal but it would be nice if the clean feature worked.

Thanks All -
pulled and cleaned combustion motor - tight squeeze but piece of cake.
Also went outside and pulled the cleanout T and brushed the verticle vent pipe.
Stove is burning great so far and heat output is noticeably more efficient.
On aside do either of you know is the ESP sensor accessible without pulling apart the
vent pipe out he back of the stove. when I had the back covers of the stove off I see the where
the two wires lead to the sensor - can this simply be pulled out to clean?
Thanks for the help

When I had the back covers of the stove off I see the where
the two wires lead to the sensor - can this simply be pulled out to clean?

Yes.

Just loosen the retaining screw and pull the body of the sensor (not by the wires!) upward. I usually clean mine
with Windex.

Status
Not open for further replies.