Harman XXV-TC auger not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vanfleetb

Jan 23, 2019
Michigan
Went to fire up the stove for the first time this season and it won't ignite. No pellets get fed into the burn pot and I don't see the auger turning at all. In the test mode I can turn the room blower on fine. The combustion motor turns on but seems to be making a rattling noise at full rpm. When I push the test button for the auger it doesn't turn and no pellets feed. Any ideas on what to check?

The stove was installed in November 2018 - would the auger/auger motor be under warranty yet?

Door gasket & hopper gaskets good?
You may be on to something there. I let it go trying to ignite and came back to see the warning door open message. I don't have any cash on hand to test the gasket but will give that a shot tomorrow. I have always needed to push in on the door a little bit to get the latch to engage is that normal?

Having to push on the door means your gasket is probably sealing adequately, but if you've burned this or two years
& the gasket hasn't compressed, there may be something else going on. Does the gasket feel flexible all around?

Were the pellets cleaned out of the stove in the off season, fines box cleaned out.

Went to fire up the stove for the first time this season and it won't ignite. No pellets get fed into the burn pot and I don't see the auger turning at all. In the test mode I can turn the room blower on fine. The combustion motor turns on but seems to be making a rattling noise at full rpm. When I push the test button for the auger it doesn't turn and no pellets feed. Any ideas on what to check?

The stove was installed in November 2018 - would the auger/auger motor be under warranty yet?
Are you getting any error codes? Your baskets are probably fine this early in it’s life, and I’ve never seen a door or hopper lid gasket on a Harman that was bad enough to keep it from feeding pellets with a full hopper. Your likely looking a clog somewhere that is preventing your vacuum switch from closing. Have you: cleaned the fines box, blown out the vacuum line, cleaned exhaust blower, cleaned the venting, cleaned under the burn pot in the igniter chamber, cleaned everything else because it’s a $4k stove that needs maintenance to run well and last a long time? Might as well pull the ESP and wipe it down while your doing everything else. If after all of that, the stove won’t run the auger with a hopper of fresh pellets and the lid and front door shut, then you are looking at possibly a power surge frying something in the board if it was plugged in all summer, or possibly a seized auger motor. The wArranty on electric parts for Harman is 2 years. Good luck!

Update. I have everything a good cleaning on the stove. The fines box was pretty full (I honestly didn't know that was a thing until this thread). I also cleaned the ESP, and blew out the vacuum line for the pressure switch. The stove has been making a loud noise at startup that I have now isolated in cleaning to the combustion blower. When spinning it makes a kind of grinding noise so I'm guessing it's failing?

After the cleaning the stove still won't feed any pellets. I can see in the diagnostics that the feed motor is on but it doesn't feed any pellets. I am going to have the dealer come out, but if anyone has any other ideas in the meantime I will give them a try.

Thanks all

Update. I have everything a good cleaning on the stove. The fines box was pretty full (I honestly didn't know that was a thing until this thread). I also cleaned the ESP, and blew out the vacuum line for the pressure switch. The stove has been making a loud noise at startup that I have now isolated in cleaning to the combustion blower. When spinning it makes a kind of grinding noise so I'm guessing it's failing?

After the cleaning the stove still won't feed any pellets. I can see in the diagnostics that the feed motor is on but it doesn't feed any pellets. I am going to have the dealer come out, but if anyone has any other ideas in the meantime I will give them a try.

Thanks all

I forgot to add I couldn't figure out how to get the combustion blower off to look at it. There are two thumb screws that I removed but the fan still wouldn't come out. Any trick to getting it out so I can see if cleaning it helps?

Check to make sure the bolt securing the auger motor to the auger is tight.
If the motor is turning & the pellets aren't feeding, that might be the reason.
It's not easy to get at, but with a 7/16" or 11mm socket you should be able to
tighten it. Look to see where the flat is on the auger shaft & align that with the end of the bolt.
That fastener on my P61A will loosen up every couple of years...

Had the dealer out to take a look - the combustion motor is failing and will need to be replaced. However, the reason the stove wouldn't run was birds had packed the pipe completely solid with a nest. Going to be replacing the cap with one that has a screen to keep them out in the future.