Harman XXV-TC Banging sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnstabuin

Apr 15, 2017
Tichborne
I just bought a Harman XXV -TC the newest of the new. All digital control touch control.
Second day it made a clunking banging sound. It seems to happen for no reason, I'm only on my 4th bag.
The dealer told me it is the slide plate jamming on a pellet, and it may happen sporadically from time to time.
It happens randomly when the auger is turning and when it is not turning.
Not knowing the exact method of operation I have no clue how to identify the issue or if it is damaging anything in the long run.

Any thoughts out there why this happens?

I just bought a Harman XXV -TC the newest of the new. All digital control touch control.
Second day it made a clunking banging sound. It seems to happen for no reason, I'm only on my 4th bag.
The dealer told me it is the slide plate jamming on a pellet, and it may happen sporadically from time to time.
It happens randomly when the auger is turning and when it is not turning.
Not knowing the exact method of operation I have no clue how to identify the issue or if it is damaging anything in the long run.

Any thoughts out there why this happens?
if you are using long pellets, the slide plate[where the pellets are drop released from the hopper] are crunching some of the pellets..

That's what the dealer said. Obviously I can't see the slide with the pellets in.
When does the slide operate?
What calls for it to move?
I don't know the particulars of how and when..
I do kno
That's what the dealer said. Obviously I can't see the slide with the pellets in.
When does the slide operate?
What calls for it to move?
As the Auger pushes pellets into the burnpot, more pellets need to be dropped to replace the supply via the slide plate..
both componets work pretty much same time.
mechanically you could say it is all one Mechanism designed to work together. BTW: are you using long pellets?

Reactions: Lake Girl
Thanks for the video I looked everywhere for one like that.
Here's a twist for you.
I've been paying closer attention to the sounds and have recorded the time frame for banging.
The noise happens 5 min to 15 min after the thermostat has been satisfied and the stove is winding down, no auger movement just the room fan and the burn fan for the entire time frame.

What up with that?

Thanks for the video I looked everywhere for one like that.
Here's a twist for you.
I've been paying closer attention to the sounds and have recorded the time frame for banging.
The noise happens 5 min to 15 min after the thermostat has been satisfied and the stove is winding down, no auger movement just the room fan and the burn fan for the entire time frame.

What up with that?
well,
ya got me on that one. do not know why it would bang if NOT calling for heat[ or pellets]...
hopefully someone will chime in..

I have an Absolute63 (newest of the new also). Occasionally I will get a bang or crunch... I attribute it to the auger bashing a stuck pellet. It seems to be much less frequent than what you are describing.

Mal

If this only happens when the stove is cooling down
could it be the contraction of a steel plate somewhere ?
Does it also happen when the stove is heating up ?

Pellet stove are not particularly quiet machines in general. I think it is the things above already mentioned. I remember hearing the snap, crackle, boom, and bangs when I first started running mine. I was running some longer pellets at the time but mine will still do that occasionally when it is pinching a pellet in half.

It could also be the expansion and contraction. If you could video and record it to post up what's going on may be helpful for folks here to diagnose and give some input on.

Pellet stove are not particularly quiet machines in general. I think it is the things above already mentioned. I remember hearing the snap, crackle, boom, and bangs when I first started running mine. I was running some longer pellets at the time but mine will still do that occasionally when it is pinching a pellet in half.

It could also be the expansion and contraction. If you could video and record it to post up what's going on may be helpful for folks here to diagnose and give some input on.
ya know,
now that u mentioned it, I do remember hearing some little boom/bang stuff at times but as a seasoned pellet burner, Never really caused any concerns.
I actually here it when the COLD stove starts to warm up.
[not to be confused with the slider plate noise of pellet decapitation]
I once burned O'Malley's and hands down LONGEST PELLETS IN THE UNIVERSE!!!
Man... I figured if i could get thru a ton of those I could handle anything...plus they left the hardest speedbumps i ever dealt with. like stones.
but I digress.. don't think the OP has any problems there with the noise....he will soon learn to ignore it if it is indeed exspansion..

Last edited:
Reactions: bags and SFCJames
ya know,
now that u mentioned it, I do remember hearing some little boom/bang stuff at times but as a season pellet burner, Never really caused any concerns.
I actually here it when the COLD stove starts to warm up.
[not to be confused with the slider plate noise of pellet decapitation]
I once burned O'Malley's and hands down LONGEST PELLETS IN THE UNIVERSE!!!
Man... I figured if i could get thru a ton of those I could handle anything...plus they left the hardest speedbumps i ever dealt with. like stones.
but I digress.. don't think the OP has any problems there with the noise....he will soon learn to ignore it if it is indeed exspansion..
My XXV makes some pretty loud banging noises, usually on start up. Sometimes on cool down, but less often and not as loud. During the shoulder seasons when I am using room temp/auto I notice it a lot as the stove starts and stops. During the winter when it is running constantly I will occasionally hear the crunching of a pellet but not the loud bangs. My thought (as others stated) was because of the expansion and contraction of the metal heating and cooling.

Last edited:
My XXV makes some pretty loud banging noises, usually on start up. Sometimes on cool down, but less often and not as loud. During the shoulder seasons when I am using room temp/auto I notice it a lot as the stove starts and stops. During the winter when it is running constantly I will occasionally hear the crunching of a pellet but not the loud bangs. My thought (as others stated) was because of the expansion and contraction of the metal heating and cooling.
yeah...
the conculation being that each time you start up the stove and it works fine you know the previous clatter was nothing to fret over..

That is my exact thought, it sounds just like a steel plate contracting or expanding. It only happens when the stove is cooling down and it sounds like it comes from the back. I will disassemble the rear plate later this week and have a look.

I believe the pellets I am using are short. I buy them from the Harman dealer

Yesterday the stove made an unusually loud one .... and it had been off for over an hour.
WTF. It does not sound mechanical at all.
Tried to upload a .wav file but it looks like the forum does not support it.

Thanks for all your help people.... I found it. The banging was getting to be every time the stove cooled down so I took of the rear access plates to have a look, wow no heat in this area however no more banging either. Left the covers off for 4 days and no banging, put them back on and still no banging yay. I had to be them contracting possibly heat from the flue. The covers had not been removed since manufacture, just an odd little thing.

BTW if any of you have the new xxv-tc order the room sensor it controls the temp reading on the control module. Never have to adjust to get the area we sit in now. Fantastic, expensive for what it does but a game changer for sure. It is limited to a 30ft. range so a basement location may not work.

Thanks again all
Happy pellet guy here.