Harmon Advance distribution blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WYO-Ryan

Dec 11, 2017
Wyoming
So the distribution blower on my Harman Advance quit working, the stove starts fine, will feed pellets, and the combustion blower is operating. I pulled the blower and tested it with a pigtail and it works fine. I reinstalled it, pulled the ESP from the circuit board with the stove in the OFF position, and immediately the blower turned on and the feeder activated. I then pulled the ESP and cleaned it, restarted the stove and the blower activated after it got up to temp, but then quit working at some point during the night. Finally I installed a new ESP sensor and I'm still getting no blower. Last but not least I swapped the circuit board from my other stove and it still will not work (the circuit board works fine with my other stove). I'm at a loss?

Last edited:
I finally figured out it was the blower motor after all. The motor housing was hotter than hell so I new it was probably catching somewhere on the magnets. Ordered a new Dayton motor/blower for $65, but I find it disturbingly dishonest when the stove parts stores are marking up a motor/blower combo under their Harmon part number for triple the price ($189) of the actual Dayton part # which can be found on Amazon and other suppliers.

Check the stats on that new motor and see if they are the same as your original blower! A lot of the aftermarket blowers are under powered and could cause more issues

Stove shop is getting blower from Harman. It is going to be more expensive. Secondly, like most anything else, you can get it on Amazon way cheaper. Price Auto parts on there compared to the dealer...

I finally figured out it was the blower motor after all. The motor housing was hotter than hell so I new it was probably catching somewhere on the magnets. Ordered a new Dayton motor/blower for $65, but I find it disturbingly dishonest when the stove parts stores are marking up a motor/blower combo under their Harmon part number for triple the price ($189) of the actual Dayton part # which can be found on Amazon and other suppliers.
Even though the old dayton part number is used,appears that motor is no longer reccomended for speed control.is probably why Harman changed suppliers.

Stove shop is getting blower from Harman. It is going to be more expensive. Secondly, like most anything else, you can get it on Amazon way cheaper. Price Auto parts on there compared to the dealer...
Harmon sourced them as an OEM part from Dayton and now from Fasco. So if the dealers are buying them from Harmon they are also probably getting screwed.

Harmon sourced them as an OEM part from Dayton and now from Fasco. So if the dealers are buying them from Harmon they are also probably getting screwed.
I think you missed my point.Manufacturers sometimes change specifications(build specs),yet keep the old part number,as it works in 90% of the applications.The older unit may/was built to different specifications.Those blowers were known for being noisy(hum especially) and short life.The new version of the old part number,is advertised as "not recommended for speed control".Yes,it will work.Yes,it will run hot.Yes,it will probably be noisier,and go bad sooner.A split capacitor motor,not made to run at variable speeds(as a Harmon stove does),will probably not give you many years of service,and be nosier.But,if you are only interested in the short haul,probably will be fine.

A split capacitor motor,not made to run at variable speeds(as a Harmon stove does),will probably not give you many years of service,and be nosier.But,if you are only interested in the short haul,probably will be fine.

I finally got an answer from FASCO directly and here is what they said:

"We do not offer any suggested replacement. You will need to contact the OEM or the manufacturer of the equipment the motor is on. This is an OEM motor or blower/motor assy. only and you must go back to the OEM for this motor or blower/motor assy. OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer. This motor or blower/motor assy. was designed and built for the OEM to put on their equipment. The OEM has all rights to this motor and we cannot sell it to anyone else or give out any information on this motor or blower/motor assy.. This motor is proprietary for the OEM only. For any information on this OEM motor or blower/motor assy must go back to the OEM for this information."

I ended up replacing mine with the identical Dayton unit for $55 since I only run the fan on high and the variable speed capabilities don't much matter to me. I would be willing to bet FASCO already had a motor/blower assy. that met Harman's specs, but obviously Harman secured those rights from FASCO so they could make $150 profit, which you can't blame them. Since Dayton no longer supplies the OEM part for that stove they were no longer obligated to secure that information. Wether selling auto parts or pellet stove parts, those are good sources of profit for the manufacturers.