harmon xxv - not starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

msjks

Jan 5, 2016
Massachusetts
I shut down the unit to clean the fines box in normal way - let unit cool and shut off -- box was about 1/4 full --- emptied and reinstalled cover - went to start unit - combustion fan started - no blinking lights -- distribution fan, feed motor did not turnon - no lights - combustion fan ran, ran - finally shut of power to unit -- cleaned stove pipe thinking might be blockage - pulled esp prob - clean and fine. --- still nothing --- let sit for a while to see if it would reset -- and still nothing -- put in TEST mode -- combustion fan ran again - distribution light came on and fan sounded rattley but nothing else. and imput??? stove was running fine up till then - we run it 24 hours - been cleaned in mid november before burning - and cleaned about every week to 10 days there on... thanks, J

Try unplugging hit for about 5min

Feed motor work on test mode ? Fines box cover on correctly and tight? All doors sealed tight ?

tried several times unplugging it -- and I also checked the fines box - seems to be on correctly and tight - tx

Are you absolutely certain that the tab of the feeder weldment in inserted in the slot of the fines cover? It's super easy to think you have it done correctly and yet not have done so. If the tab isn't inserted before the wingnut is tightened down it will seem like the cover is on correctly but there will be a big enough air leak to decrease the system vacuum to a level where the pressure switch won't allow the igniter or feed motor to run.

Hugh

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
I checked it twice - but I didn't take it off and re-do it --- I'm going to do it when I get home from work. Should I have gotten a blinking light or something to say where was a error? though?

I checked it twice - but I didn't take it off and re-do it --- I'm going to do it when I get home from work. Should I have gotten a blinking light or something to say where was a error? though?

Not in my experience. I've check mine twice at one point in the learning curve and only found that it actually wasn't correct till the third check.

Reactions: jackman
I can echo SciGuy regarding the feed plate. I've missed putting that back together correctly. I had to empty a full hopper to figure it out. I double check it now before I fill the hopper after doing a clean out. I hope it's as simple as that for you.

My husband said that it has to be something really stupid - as we checked everything - so we'll see - and that was the only thing I did to the stove it was running perfectly before hand - it is in our sunroom and that's my room - it was mighty chilly in there yesterday - like 38 - we have a Harmon Assentra insert in our living room and I put a floor fan to try and bring up the room it worked well - got it up to 70 with that and one of those portable plug in oil heaters to the far side.

As these guys said, the fines box cover has a slot in the top. It has to hang on the tab on the stove before you tighten the wing nut.

thanks!! I'll kick my self in the butt - on the hind-site!!! keep you posted
Here's a nice diagram that gives a good view of the slot on the cover as well as tab on the weldment.

Fines Cleanout.jpg

That happen to me once, it was the vacuum line had split at the Low Draft Pressure Switch.
xxv lps.PNG