Has anyone heard of or burned these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevie

Nov 13, 2008
Southern RI
One of the local dealers is selling a NEW, PREMIUM hardwood pellet named INFERNO. Has anyone heard of these?
They're selling them for $259/ton and offer delivery for xtra60 per 2tons. Doesn't sound bad to me if they burn ok.

I dont know if they are Narragansett Pellets, but if so, the Narragansetts werent good at all....hold on, got a bag sitting right here....I'll check the address......

Inferno Wood Pellet, Inc
Rumford, RI

and thats right off a bag of the stuff.....

I haven't had good luck with Narragansett Pellets. Of course, I only burned 20 bags and they might have been a bad lot.

Inferno Wood Pellet bought out the former Narragansett Wood Pellet Plant in Rumford RI. Pellets are premium quality and burn very well. Give them a try.

I just bought 3 tons at Lowe's in Weymouth, MA. They are running a special $50 off 2 tons, $100 off 3, $150 off 4 tons. Came to $780 w/ delivery $65.
Have never burned these, but I'll post once I do.

miniowner said:
I just bought 3 tons at Lowe's in Weymouth, MA.........Have never burned these, but I'll post once I do.
IMO, you should have bought 3-4 bags and run them in your stove to see how they burned....it's cool enough now at night. I hope you don't get stuck w/ 3 tons of pellets that burn "poorly" in your stove.

My father would have said "don't buy a pig in a poke".

miniowner said:
I just bought 3 tons at Lowe's in Weymouth, MA. They are running a special $50 off 2 tons, $100 off 3, $150 off 4 tons. Came to $780 w/ delivery $65.
Have never burned these, but I'll post once I do.

Pellet rule number 1

Don't buy large quantities of unknown pellets.
I broke that rule last year with Maine Woods...never again!
Hope you have good luck with your pellets...

Since my previous post in this thread back in Sept., I bought and burned a couple of bags. In short, they are JUNK. Huge amounts of fines with wood chips, clumps, splinters, etc, plus they smelled weird. Heat output was poor, and lots of ash and dirtied the window faster than any pellet I can remember.

My local Price Chopper GROCERY STORE is trying to unload 2 tons now for about 1 1/2 months.....their still sitting there, outdoors, unguarded......no one will even steal them.

"I will have a spreadsheet with ALL the numbers completed when jtakeman is finished with the test, so you can compare any pellet to another to determine which really does represent the best “value” for your money…the results so far have produced some interesting results."

BTU, that will be priceless!! (no pun intended).

Of course, it will be totally un-biased?? Right!

BTU said:
countk said:
"I will have a spreadsheet with ALL the numbers completed when jtakeman is finished with the test, so you can compare any pellet to another to determine which really does represent the best “value” for your money…the results so far have produced some interesting results."

Since math is the only true science...it will be un-biased....You take a brand and compare the heat output from both and determine the difference as a percentage. Then you assign a % of how much you want to discount based on ash content...for example...one brand produces .45 % ash and another .70% so you may want to discount the higher one say 6% total for that. This number you can move up or down, depending on how important ash content is to you. From this you can combine the numbers and produce a "value" for that brand and now you can compare the two brands and determine which is a better buy for you. It does not take into considerations how many fines there are, if the pellet will dirty your glass, how they smell, if you have to pick the pellets up at the retailer or if he delivers, if you like the look of the bag or if they are hardwood or softwood, if they are made in your backyard or across the country or for that matter even in another country. Another words, its a very simple real world spreadsheet based on heat and ash only, to be used as a simple guide to see if buying Brand A at $X.00 is worth more than Brand B at $Y.00...

I realize that Jay's test is not a lab test and there are variables, but I believe he has done the tests using the same process each time and has the equipment to give some accurate results that most of us can live with (no you can't keep 100% of everyone happy all the time). This isn't rocket science....but with about 25+ brands he wants to test..this is an easy way to compare each brand. For some of you, the results won't mean anything since you have your favorite brand(s) and will buy them regardless...and that's OK...For others, the ash content doesn't bother you whatsoever, so you won't use that as a discount.....but for most of us, we want to see if Brand A really is worth that $30 per ton more based on heat and ash results and this will be an easy way to see it ....what you do with that information is totally going to be left up to you..

Works for me, and I think I can speak for most everyone here when I say Jay's tests are priceless and I'm confident yours will be as well!

BTU said:
countk said:

This isn't rocket science....but with about 25+ brands he wants to test..this is an easy way to compare each brand. For some of you, the results won't mean anything since you have your favorite brand(s) and will buy them regardless...and that's OK...For others, the ash content doesn't bother you whatsoever, so you won't use that as a discount.....but for most of us, we want to see if Brand A really is worth that $30 per ton more based on heat and ash results and this will be an easy way to see it ....what you do with that information is totally going to be left up to you..

Good thing its not rocket science cus we would all crash! :lol:

Looks like 21 brands for this test. Stay tuned for the Pellet house brands test (It will also be a softie against hardwood head to head too.). I am trying to get at least 6 hardwood and 4 softwood brands. Yes some will cost more, But will they be a better value? There are 2 brands that rival the big box prices in there as well. You guys want some names? ;-)

My 2 cents is HEAT. My stove needs to produce about 230°F for the shoulders and 250°F to 260°F in the real cold for the house to be comfy. Thats why my test started as heat numbers and the ash volume/weight was added in. With the prices looming in the $250 plus a ton range. I didn't want to get stuck(or anyone else for that matter) with pellets that were marginal in the heat output. But if I can get a pellet that has the heat amount and has just a little less ash= less cleaning and more time spent with the family or one of my hobbies. That is what I call priceless. (Spending less to get more)

BTU Thank you for compiling the data into the spread sheet. Glad we have a numbers guy(the real scientist). I will build the ship if you fly it! :cheese:

jay

Maybe BTU can get me a job as the pellet tester? :lol: :lol: Just kidding! A pellet pigs DREAM!

Well Good news and bad news...I went to the factory today and picked up 2 bags. They offered more but I only wanted to test these and don't want anything for nothing...

The good news is the new pellet batch they have is better than the old. Not alot but about a 1.5-2" higher flame...

The bad news is that the Freedom Pellets from hd and the bag of Corinth pellets are MUCH superior for heat output... I made a scientific test just now...Graduated cups of each pellet thrown into the hopper...old batch infernos were 2-3" flame... new batch infernos were 4-6" flames max...Corinth pellets were 10-12" or more flames-I couldn't see the top of the flames they extended so far into the top of the firebox it was out of sight....as were the Freedom Fuel pellets.

Girl told me at the factory today if I was unhappy with these to go back and they would give me a full refund...not sure how that works I bought them from the stove shop and where does the junk pellets go....

Status
Not open for further replies.