Has anyone heard of these pellets from Tractor supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Raz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
Orange County, NY
I saw these today at Tractor supply but not sure how they are. Has anyone used these yet? How is the heat?

Attachments

• IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 132
TSC has a lot of different companies bagging pellets for them. My local TSC has the same bags and in those bags are Maine woods. They vary by region but I have heard of dry creek and lignetics to name a few

If you can get the bar code from a bag someone will be able to tell you what's in the bag

If you can get the bar code from a bag someone will be able to tell you what's in the bag

Not allways. TSC also uses a generic UPC which does not tell you who the manufacturer is, if you use iGepir.

My TSC uses MWP - probably in NY they are something else. In fact, in this thread, there is the suggestion that some are Lignetis and others Currans. Hopefully the UPC isn't the generic one so you can get a better idea.

I'm burning the Maine Woods version of those pellets right now. Only my first bag, but they seem decent so far.

Reactions: bogieb
I bought some last year, and tried them, they seem to burn well but made clinkers like you see in coal furnaces.

Reactions: rich2500
Are currans good? How are they in comparison to Presto logs, Stove Chow?

I think most would say stay with the presto and chow

Reactions: bogieb
several years ago Currans had a good rep

I think most would say stay with the presto and chow
That is my opinion too.

Although they are an okay pellet, for the price I would go with PTL's (I don't know about chows). I ran a couple of tons of Currans winter of 2013/2014 and they were good. Winter of 2014/2015 I bought 3 tons and was sorry as they weren't very good heat-wise or ash-wise and I could buy better running FSU's for about $30 less/ton. PTL's last year were good to me for a decent price (less than Curran's).

However, your stove/set up could really love the Currans so I would buy a couple bags and see what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.